In 2002, David had quit going to BYU and was about to quit his job working for Vespa Utah. I had barely finished my nursing degree and had just had our second son. At this point, we had only been married 3 years and we were naive and unsure about the next step. We met one night in our small home with Bren and Emilee Green. Bren and David shared a common interest in Vespas so by default, so did Emilee and I. Our conversations skipped from scooters, to birth stories, to scooters, to the funny things our kids had just learned, to maybe, just maybe we'd open up our own scooter shop.
Bren and Emilee were enthusiastic. David was unsure. I had misgivings. What did we know about business? What did we know about sales? Dave was a good mechanic- that's about all we knew. Emilee worked it all out in her mind. We could find a small shop, low rent, and since I was about to start working at the hospital, we'd have that money for sure. If the shop didn't pan out, we wouldn't be in that much trouble financially. Her enthusiasm was catchy. Maybe it'd work. I calculated what I'd make as a nurse and what our bills were and it seemed like it'd work...even if the shop didn't bring in any money for a while.
Never mind that we didn't have a dime for any inventory or a business plan.
So by the seat of our pants, quite literally, The Scooter Lounge was born.
Prior to that, BBSC had formed. Besides Bren, Dave knew a few people from high school with Vespas. Then we became friends with guys who fell in love with Vespas on their European missions and had to have one once they got home. People were coming out of the woodwork and we started going on rides around town together. We were a bunch of young clean cut BYU students/newly weds/RM's. We all went to the Las Vegas rally one year and then we started our own rally. Provophenia. We made some patches, bought some pins, and some T-shirts.
So here we are, 8 years and 8 rallies later. It's a different crowd. Our kids are getting big. We are riding a variety of scooters. Besides Dave and I, there are only a few of the original Bees left in Utah County...but BBSC is thriving. This year we've gone on rides every two weeks since spring and we just had...
PROVOPHENIA VIII






































2 comments:
that looks like a really fun event! i think it is great that it is something your whole family can enjoy together. love all the beautiful photos.
Oh how I wish Ty hadn't gone to Vegas! We obviously missed out on a good time!
Post a Comment