Was it just the turning of one day to the next that caused so many noticeable changes? Or did the changes creep up slowly, unnoticeably and then suddenly manifest themselves to me as he blew out the candles? Is it his interaction with the older boys in our ward through activities like passing the sacrament, playing church basketball, attending mutual, doing rounds for fast offerings that drew out the changes I see in him? He seems so much older, calmer, and wiser all the sudden. I have been so awe-struck at it all. I have a joyful sense of pride at his progress, at his integration into the Aaronic Priesthood and the Young Men's program. He gave a talk in Sacrament meeting for the first time and he stood tall and unafraid. There wasn't any of the silliness or blurting out random phrases to get a reaction like in his Primary days.
Not only have I noticed the changes in him, but many people in our neighborhood have made comments about the same to me. His former teachers and leaders are impressed by his solemnness and maturity. He is a great example to his brother Little D whom I hope will acquire the same sense of duty that I have seen in Raycito.
Did I mention that he was in a musical? He played the part of Mr. Church in his school's Christmas play called "Yes, Virginia". He had done his best at hiding the fact that he is very comfortable on the stage and has a very nice singing voice with a touch of vibrato. I was once again awe-struck by my son's accomplishments. Lou and Little D were also involved with the play and did some fancy dancing.
I love this boy of mine. There is so much to look forward to at twelve, so many experiences that will shape him. However I realize that I only have a few more short years of influence over my son. I feel a pressing desire to make sure he knows how to treat a girl, do laundry, mow the lawn, preach the gospel and be a kind man. I want this sense of joy over his progress to continue through the years.

No comments:
Post a Comment