Sunday, January 3, 2010

January 1, 2010

Before this piece of firewood was burned we took turns writing on it. All the things of the past that we wanted to leave behind. All the things we didn't want to repeat. All the things we wanted to forget. Then we lit it and let it burn. For kindling we used a stack of records that we didn't want to remember. I added my own torn slips of paper I had written on. And we let them burn too.

That was a refreshing start to the new year.



Love is a smoke made with the fume of sighs.
Being purged, a fire sparkling in lovers' eyes.
Being vexed, a sea nourished with lovers' tears.
What is it else? a madness most discreet,
A choking gall and a preserving sweet.
William Shakespeare

Love is friendship that has caught fire. It is quiet understanding, mutual confidence, sharing and forgiving. It is loyalty through good and bad times. It settles for less than perfection and makes allowances for human weaknesses.
Ester Lederer

7 comments:

High Heels and a Sippy Cup said...

That is a lovely tradition. Do you do this every year? I think I shall adopt this for next New Years Eve. Thanks for telling.

rusted sun said...

I agree, great tradition, especially after an exceptionally hard year.

I really love the Ester Lederer quote. Thanks for sharing.

Sorry I wasn't able to hung out more on New Years morning. It seems we are all feeling better now.

Katie said...

I love those quotes. Beautiful.

Perry Family said...

what a refreshing start. I like this idea, burning all the things you dont want to repeat and remember...starting anew!!

Erin Vorkink said...

thats way cool.

Kerri said...

Way to burn down the past.

Linda Dickinson said...

I wish you a better year in 2010 (;