Worry.
I worry a lot.
I worry about my children. When I send them out the door each morning, I have to hold myself back from running to the corner to make sure that they made the 1.5 blocks to school OK. I don't like when other people drive my kids anywhere. I don't like them to go swimming with anyone if I'm not there. I even feel nervous when I have to go to work at the hospital and leave them home with their dad though it is unnecessary because I think he worries over them even more than I do. But still I worry. If they are not with me I will worry until they are. Maybe I am the worry-wart type. I've been this way for a long time.
Before my kids, I worried about my sister.
All the time.
When Kassi was born, I was 4 months shy of 8 years old. She was my first sister and I took it upon myself to protect her. Back in the day of no car seats and seat belts, my mom changed Kassi's diaper in the car one day...in front of all my brothers! I had to defend her privacy and mine (as sisters) and I positioned my elbows and arms around her so they would not see. I dressed her, did her hair, played with her, shared a room with her and on a few occasions when she was a toddler, I literally had to protect her from real harm with all the skinny 11 year old strength and courage I could muster. My mom worked long hours running our family business back then and I was in charge of Kassi whenever she was gone. I can't say I did a particularly good job, because a school-aged girl is not a mother, but I worried about Kassi. The worry never left me. There was a lot to be worried about too. But as of October 9th, 2010, the worry has lessened.
The first of the Top Two Events of 2010 happened in October when Kassi married Tanner.
When I met Tanner and got to know him a little, I could feel a bit of my worry over Kassi leave. Tanner would take care of Kassi.
When I met Tanner and got to know him a little, I could feel a bit of my worry over Kassi leave. Tanner would take care of Kassi. Now, don't get me wrong. Kassi is no weakling. She is one of the strongest and most determined women I know. But if anyone knows anything about my family, you would know that it isn't over-kill to worry about her or any one of us for that matter - but having a man by her side now that is valiant and good made my worry meter go way down. I am thrilled that Kassi is married to Tanner.

Before my sister, I worried about my mom.
I can remember waiting at the relief society door after church with the other primary children. We were waiting for our mothers. As the door would open, we would flood in against the tide to find them. Time after time I remember looking up at my mother at church with her teary eyes from crying. It was an unsettling feeling. I knew some of what she was crying about. I wanted to protect her. I wanted to fight my way through all the chaos of our lives. But I was just a little girl.
The second of the Top Two Events of 2010 happened over the weekend.
My mother got married. This is going to be good. I feel a sense of relief over her marrying such a wonderful and gentle man. If there is any couple who deserves smooth sailing for the remainder of their years, it is my mom and her newly-wed husband Steve. I am thrilled that mom is married to Steve.
Marriage. This is better than soaking in a hot tub, getting a massage, or talking to a counselor.

7 comments:
Beautiful...Wonderful!!!! & your sister...she looks just like you! I thought it was you and dave when you were younger!
Sad to have missed it. I hated telling your mom I couldn't take pictures :(
Your so great! I loved this post. I totally get it!
Beautifully written.
You are such an amazing writer. I thought that Kassi was you in the pictures. Very beautiful.
Yes, beautiful beautiful post. You are a family of lucky women to have eachother. (And all so gorgeous!) Congratulations on two happy marriages for the family.
I love reading your blog. You're such a gifted writer. You know how to speak to the heart. You are truly an amazing woman.
Post a Comment