-He is home alone most of the day, bored and lonely.
-He doesn't get out on walks very often because mom's been so busy.
-Dad can hardly stand to touch him and feels filthy in his own home.
-Mom's tired of picking up poop.
-He's aggressive toward the mail man and utility workers.
-He has bit a couple people.
-He tries to escape.
- Mom's the only one that feeds him and bathes him.
-He started peeing on the carpet so now we have to block the downstairs with a fence which is annoying to us all.
-He deserves to be owned by someone who will love him and care for him and want him around.
-It seems like to only kind thing to do (for us and for him) is to find him an owner who will love him.
After making all these points, the kids were not convinced. Instead Lou declared that her heart was being broken and she sobbed. Little D wept along with Lou. And then they became angry at us. Only Ray didn't seem to mind if we found a new home which is ironic since we got the dog for him in the first place. After this discussion, Lou and Little D began to smother the dog with attention and love as if to prove something to us. Ray even started to take him out on walks. I'm glad they have begun to take interest in the dog. He needs the love and attention...but it has made it more difficult for Dave and I to execute our plan to find a new home for him. I really think that Lou may not forgive us until we are old and gray if we get rid of him. That scares me.
Recently, Dave discovered that he has a dog-germ-phobia. He admitted to me that he knows it is irrational. But I feel somewhat the same as he does. I think about how much cleaner my home would be without this creature living in it.
Ray recently had to do a science fair project for the 5th grade and he decided to do it on germs- to verify if this dog-phobia is in fact irrational.
I don't think the results of this project have helped Dave or I feel more comfortable about having a dog hanging around. It confirmed our worst fears. Raycito did an excellent job on his science fair project. Dave and I guided him through the process but he did (most of) the work, observation and evaluation. It pretty much confirmed that the myth that a dog's mouth is cleaner than a human's is false (at least our dog's mouth). The results are pretty gross (though it did make me feel pretty good about the man that I kiss every day).
Dad Vs. Dog
Ray swabbed Dave's and the dog's mouth before and after brushing, their hand/paw and skin. I got to teach him about sterile technique and so forth. It was a lot of fun....but then the grotesqueness grew and gave us the heebie-jeebies.
I don't think I'll ever feel comfortable about Midnight tromping around the house after I saw what grew on his paw.
Here is Raycito's completed project. It turned out pretty great. Ray had a folder that showed the results of the 8 petri dishes at 48, 72 and 96 hours. He observed the growth and graphed it. I had never made a graph like that on the computer. Raycito showed me how he did it. It is crazy how comfortable kids are on computers these days.
I have to admit (though I'm probably biased) that Raycito's science fair experiment was the best one there. Not only was his presentation excellent, but the good science and debunking of false myths was exceptional.
I don't remember having to do a science fair project at this age. Ray not only had to have signatures of approval from science teachers, but also a doctor (since we were using a human subject) and a veterinarian (because we used an animal). Raycito did an abstract AND a report. It was pretty intense for the fifth grade. I am fairly certain that none of the judges even looked at his report or verified the signatures. So much for getting credit where credit is due.
Raycito also advanced into the 11 year old scouts. He earned his Webelos badge and his Arrow of Light. Both Dave and I are awed by the fact that our son is going to be twelve this year. It is a big deal. It's all moving along so fast! We'll have an Aaronic priesthood holder in our home. Dave feels excited about going on scout camp-outs with the boys and enjoying it all over again.
Raycito and Little D started ski school at Sundance. It has been a lot of fun for them both. Little D seems to have taken to it pretty naturally.
I was very nervous about how Ray would do. He had a bad experience skiing once last year with the 4th grade. He's not very patient when it comes to uncomfortable shoes or physical exertion. Because of my nervousness and because I really really wanted him to have a good experience, I have been coming with him each week to help him get all his gear on. There are some things that are more challenging for him and having an extra hand has made a big difference. So far, he has said that skiing is a lot of fun. He really hasn't complained once ever since we got the right size shoe for him.
Little D makes me a little nervous because with his confidence comes the potential for over-confidence and I'm afraid of injury. He's a trooper. I skied down the mountain with him last week and it seemed like some sort of dream come true.
This week, Dave is going to come up with the ski school too. My nervousness is now focused on him because he only skied once in his life and it was years ago. I really don't want him to get hurt. That would be devastating- but I also really want him to be able to do this with the boys. There is never an end to things I can worry myself over.
1 comment:
Great post. I love your blog. I am super impressed with Ray's project. Wow!!
Post a Comment