My heart for so long has been pulled in two directions- on the one hand, I feel that life is good and we have moved on from the dream of having a baby because our kids are older now. I have left the hurt and disappointment of infertility behind. It is too painful to continue to revisit over and over. I am in a new phase in which I am an important partner in our business and I don't think an infant can fit into this phase. But on the other hand, I want to hold on to the dream of having the children I feel I am supposed to have. This isn't supposed to be it! I want the joy- the JOY! of having that infant. Oh the joy babies bring -the joy I know a baby would bring to our family. Anything in my life can make way for a new baby. My heart faltered between one hand and the other until recently. I finally embraced having a baby with all my heart. I want it again like I had seven years ago when I started to talk and plan for our new baby that was sure to come. My whole heart was on board. Then for the first time since 2009, I had a positive pregnancy test. "Wait" I warned myself, "Wait. It can go either way. I've seen this before and it doesn't always mean what I think." Whatever happens, I told myself, I would put it in God's hands.
Yesterday morning Dave and I were talking about the rides I wouldn't be able to go on at Disneyland over spring break. As he read the list of rides not recommended for pregnant women, I felt a joyful resignation to not ride any of them. I was so joyful to be able to join the throngs of pregnant women not able to go on Thunder Mountain or Matterhorn. I would do anything to protect this little hopeful wish. Anything. But a few hours later I was whipped back to my former infertile life. Snapped back, shaken, crushed. How dare I hope. How dare I let it take me so far.
"My heart was broken. My heart was broken. Sorrow. Sorrow. Sorrow. Sorrow. My heart was broken. My heart was broken."
Earlier Lou had discussed the problems with having to switch rooms. She didn't really want to be downstairs with the boys. There were spiders! She was uncommitted to the idea of giving it up for a sibling. I reassured her that we could paint the room however she wanted and decorate it. She called Dave later to say she had had a change of heart. She was willing to give up her room now because she said we could paint the downstairs room just like the baby room and also she and the baby could have matching outfits and play together. David explained the word miscarriage to her and as he broke down on the phone she cried with him. How dare I build up that hope in her and have to take it all back! This being the fifth miscarriage I have had in seven years, I should have known better!
As I let the tears come and the sorrow fill my breast the words that have saved me over the last few years echo into my heart and mind. I have no control over this. There is nothing I can or cannot do to change this. It is beyond me. I am giving this to God.
And so I am giving this to my God. I am giving Him the pain, the hope, the hurt. It is too much and I am tired. I am yielding it up, handing it over, and asking Him to carry it for me.
"My tears are drying. My tears are drying. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. My tears are drying. My tears are drying"----maybe not today... but soon.
I find thee in all these things to which I am good and like a brother.
Like a seed you nestle in the tiniest.
In the great you give yourself greatly.
This is the miraculous play of forces, that they move so servingly through things:
Swelling in the roots, slimming in the branches, and in the treetops like a resurrection.
Rainer Maria Rilke
Tree of Life © Michele Banks
On the bright side of miscarriage, I'm going to go on Tower of Terror 50 times and I'll go on the Indiana Jones ride until my teeth fall out.

4 comments:
I love you and I hate this. We are long overdue for a snuggle. I'm sorry xoxoxo
I'm sorry I didn't realize you were in the middle of all this last night. Thanks for your words. You always have a way of saying it right. Love you.
I am so sorry, Kaerlig.
The infertility roller coaster is so hard...we went through that as well. My husband's sisters both suffered multiple miscarriages and were diagnosed with Factor Leiden V blood clotting disorder. I don't know if you've ever been checked for that? It is treatable and both sisters were able to have babies after treatment.
Again, I am so, so sorry.
Kaerlig, I am so sorry for what you are going through and your heartache. There is nothing I can say but just that you'll be in my thoughts and prayers.
Post a Comment