Science fair projects are cruel and unusual punishment for parents.
I learned through experience that putting a lot of work into these projects is not worth it. When Raycito was in the 5th grade, he (we) spent a lot of time and effort on collecting data, writing an abstract and report, and creating an appealing tri-fold display. After two weeks of labor, he brought it to school one morning and brought it back home that afternoon. What? Why is it back home? I couldn't believe that after all that work and worry they didn't even the decency of keeping it on display for an adequate amount of time. I found out it wasn't even graded! Forget it.
This year, Raycito and Little D had to each do a project. I thought that maybe they could do one project together...but NOOoooo. They are not in the same grade and it matters to someone. Little D decided to buddy up with his friend in the same grade. I was absolutely determined not to put very much effort into these projects. I helped come up with the basic idea, buy what they needed and made sure the paperwork filled out but that was about it. Little D and his friend Quinn decided to make a simple circuit utilizing a grotesque pregnant robot bug that little D designed and Dave put together. They brought different liquids (like juices) to our shop and used the circuit to see which liquids conducted electricity the best (tomato juice). Since the boys did the experiment at our shop, they went and did the poster at Quinn's house so I didn't have to do anything with that. It worked out pretty slick and easy. So I was pretty surprised when they were one of the winners at their school and then went on to the district and region competition.
They were very excited and it was a great experience for them. Little D will have a lasting memory of winning the 5th grade Science Fair with his best friend. I am really happy about that.
Raycito's science fair didn't go on to the region competition or anything, but I am pleased to say that he didn't spend too much time on it and it didn't cause much stress at all. High five!


No comments:
Post a Comment