One morning not too long ago Ray was crying over his bowl of cereal about this situation. Dave, who hadn't heard much about everything, was filled in on his big 9 year old's crisis. Dave counseled him that the next time Midget said mean things Ray was to say something like "It's not smart to pick on someone twice your size." and if Midget continued in his taunting, Dave told Ray to take him down.
Usually I would argue against this sort of counsel. I don't believe in bullying and I certainly don't want Ray to be the bully but I figured that if Midget can learn a lesson about cause and effect in 3rd grade it might save his life in the future. I don't like little man syndrome even if the little man is just a kid. I've noticed that the trouble with being big like Ray is that big kids aren't taken seriously when they go to their teacher for help and little kids get away with murder. A bully is sometimes only thought of as a big kid that pushes other kids around but more often the bully in the school is a little kid who teases and taunts and gets a group to follow him in his terrorizing or the bully is an innocent sweet looking girl who belittles you and laughs at you while she forms her elite cliques.
I braced myself for a phone call from Principal Pratt telling me he had Ray in his office for fighting.
So far it hasn't come yet.
The day Ray received parental permission to deck the kid, Ray told me that Midget came up and started to tease him. Ray obediently repeated the "It's not smart to pick on someone twice your size" line. Midget didn't take the hint and kept teasing.
Ray decided to turn the other cheek and ignore him.
Ray is such a disobedient child.
When Ray was working on his valentine list a few days ago he came to Midget's name and he didn't want to give him one. I told him he should give him one anyway because he shouldn't leave anyone out. Ray thought about it and then said "Maybe giving him a valentine can be a turning point." I was surprised by Ray's sensitivity when I saw the valentine to Midget with Ray's scrawlings that said "I want to be your friend." I hope for Ray's sake that that happens. Kids can be so mean.
Dave decided to give Ray an extra boost in cool factor by helping him with his Valentine Box. Here is what they came up with.
What 3rd grader wouldn't think a toilet for a Valentines Box is the coolest?
Ray said all the kids liked it and thought it was funny but I bet Midget, being the little man that he is, was just jealous.
8 comments:
kids are mean. I think you guys are doing a great job with helping him. what a good kid he is!
That is just awesome. I would totally get satisfaction out of hearing that Ray kung fu's Midge. Because I am a sick, immature individual.
This post is so timely. Thank you so much for sharing it.
My middle son is a big kid. He is bullied by our former bishop's kid, who is significantly smaller. We have given Mitch permission to clean the kid's clock...but I don't think he will. He does not want to fight. He is just like every other kid...he just wants to belong.
I think that bully may need an unidentifiable mother from out of state to "accidentally" trip him. I will be there from March 25th to April 4th.
I would be happy to deck Midget. Stories like these break my heart. I know we all grow up, things pass, we all have rough times in childhood, but I can't stand bullies. A little girl in our primary got bullied in front of me in primary and I was outraged. I gave that kid (the bully) a tongue lashing. This same little girl came home from school with a black eye and my heart is breaking for her. Good luck to Ray and hopefully he will realize Midget is the one with the problem and that it isn't him.
You are right-on...Blake has had problems with bullies this year and I finally said to push them back & be firm! I told him to be strong or I would have to do it and possibly be arrested...teehee(;!!!!
Ha ha! That's such a great valentine box. What a cool dad.
the toliet box is so great, i laughed and laughed! you are an amazing mom. ray will figure out whats best for him. so hard to see them upset over mean kids. we've had our own little bout with a queen bee who even trys to boss me around when she comes over to play-sheez kid!
Post a Comment