Probably as much as my 9 year old thinks and talks about aliens (and how he wants to go to the celestial kingdom so he can create them) I have been thinking about the next life--the one I will awake to when this mortal coil has finished wrapping its sorrow around me and springs me into eternity. I think about it more than I ever have before in my life. I am willing to endure whatever keeps piling up on my plate and endure it well with the shining hope of a better world and a treasure that moths can't corrupt.
I don't think I can explain well how I am thinking and feeling.
The other day I was running through the ups and downs of the foothills near my home. I turned down a steep road and looked over the valley with blue sunlight streaming through the clouds onto the lake and I was filled. I had thoughts of gratitude. I'm so grateful I am healthy. I'm so grateful my kids are healthy- that David is healthy. I'm so grateful we are still a family. I'm so grateful my van runs. I'm so grateful I have a warm home. I'm so grateful I have food. I'm so grateful I have a job. The basics. I have the basics. Do I want more? I feel grateful and satisfied with the basics. Maybe later -maybe in the next life- I will have more but right now the basics fill me up.
Maybe I'm afraid to have more now because I'd rather have it later when it'll last and not fade away. It's not about fear though. I hold onto my covenants. The promises of my covenants push me through the disappointment, the desperate feeling of losing what I wanted most, the sorrow. Recently I was asked to make a list of character traits of myself- to know who I am. The one that I put on the top is "covenant keeper". I think I can wrap my identity up in those two words --when the coils of this life wrap around me, the promise of my covenants that I keep will spring me into that better world.
And this world will become like a dream.
5 comments:
Yay to the covenant keepers! You are a wonderful person. I understand about being happy with the basics. I agree. This life will be like a dream, we've got to endure this small moment well! I've missed your posts! Love Love Love
I love you. You're the best.
Wonderful. And words I want to take more to heart myself. I think that too often I get caught up in how I should have more right now, and it paralyzes me. Thanks for your perspective, because you're right.
amen to the basics and covenants!
I love this post. The basics fill me up too. I feel like there's nothing more to life than holding to the rod and being grateful for every little thing...especially for health and for a job. I love that you wrote covenant keeper on the top of your list. Since having baby cali join our family, there is nothing more that i want than to have all my kids with me in the eternities, and thanks to covenants, its possible.
Post a Comment