Living in Las Vegas as a resident and visiting Las Vegas as a tourist are two polar experiences. While living there, I basically ignored the strip. It wasn't anything too exciting. Occasionally my friends and I would go down there to eat or something but usually not. Slot machines were a bore. I didn't even really notice the filth of the strip while I lived in Vegas as a tween/teen. LDS youth in Vegas lived for Saturday night dances and Macayo's chips and salsa. The church did a great job steering their youth away from the strip.
When I first started going to Vegas for scooter rallies, Vegas seemed as harmless to me as when I lived there. Maybe my vision wasn't so good, or maybe I walked only looking straight ahead, but I never noticed the news stands full of porn or the pole dancers and girls in cages. I looked without seeing at what Vegas offered to the passer by. I only see what I want to see and I didn't want to see any of that junk.
This year was different. Although I really enjoyed the rally, I was more sensitive to the seediness around me. I like that word---seedy. Las Vegas is seedy. It is built on a foundation of allurement and addiction. The phrase "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" is as old a lie as "one time won't hurt" or "no one will ever find out". Really the phrase should be "what happens in Vegas will haunt you and hurt those you love" or "what happens in Vegas might make you broke, rob you of dignity, and give you a disease". I was not impressed by The Fremont Street Experience.
Anyways...enough about that.
The best part of going to the Vegas rally was riding our scooters OUT of Vegas. We took two extended rides. The first was out to the Lake Mead area and the second was out to Red Rock Canyon. I have extremely fond memories of scrambling over red rock with my brothers back when we lived in Vegas. It was gorgeous out there. One of Las Vegas' virtues is Red Rock Canyon.
Dave and his Stella GB
Me and my Vespa GL
This was after riding through the Lake Mead park area on a cool, rainy Saturday. You have (from left to right) Jon, Taylor, Michelle Jean's husband, Jake, Dave and I.
Here is Lee, a friend and a loyal manager of our shop.
Me and Dave- waiting to pay to get into the Red Rock scenic loop.Someday.
4 comments:
So fun. And you weren't blind to the filth in LV before. IT's just gotten SO. MUCH. WORSE. It wasn't like that when we were growing up. We tried to take Katie to the water show at Bellagio. We parked at Ceasar's and walked down to the show. BIG MISTAKE. She will never set foot on the strip again.
what a blast! we ran by all those places for the vegas ragnar. i've never seen that side of vegas and loved it. must agree with you on the strip, yuck!!
I love this post, looks so fun. So glad to catch up on your life! :) You're a great person. I thought of you just last Sunday when the lesson at church had a quote by your Grandpa.
Jen (Stewart)Paris
We just came back from a weekend in Vegas. Rob had a conference. The conference was at a hotel out near Lake Mead. And we avoided the strip like the plague, and hit Red Rock Canyon instead. Vegas didn't seem so bad to me this time! In fact it was pretty nice.
Post a Comment