Sunday, May 16, 2010

Blame it on the Rain

I spent most of my childhood living in hot desert climates. I lived in Phoenix and Las Vegas for several years. The sun gets so hot there that it melts the tar in the street cracks. As a kid I longed for cloud coverage. Anytime there was a rain burst or even just a passing cloud over the sun to make its shadow fall on me, I was so grateful. I preferred a cloudy day to the sun. Rainstorms were much better than sunshine. When I first moved to Utah (even though Utah is yet another desert) I liked all the weather we got.

Now I don't.

Last spring, at this time, I didn't really mind all the rain we had clear through May. I don't remember fretting over it too much. The rain made the mountains and everything so green. I enjoyed the tumultuous cloud play and the shifting between sun and rain. This spring I feel different about the rain.

I have a co-worker at the hospital who used to do construction during the summer and he said he hates the rain because of it. He remembers all the jobs that had to be post-poned and all the money that he didn't get to make while he waited for the weather to clear. This is kinda why I feel different about the rain. It is getting ruined for me by The Scooter Lounge. People don't like to ride scooters in the rain. People don't like to drop off scooters that need to get repaired in the rain. People don't like to come and pay for scooters that we have fixed in the rain. People don't want to shop for scooters in the rain. Ever since I started handling the books at our shop, I have started to hate the weather. Job security doesn't feel very secure with the weather in charge.

Blame it on the rain.

David says that we can't let weather control our attitudes or the success of the store. One of the best scooter dealers for Genuine brand scooters (the reason why we have our own shop in the first place) is located in a snowy winterous state like Utah. Dave's been doing this business thing for almost 8 years and he has weathered many storms. He said that so many times he'd get into a situation where he didn't know how he'd meet his financial obligations but pushed forward with faith and then something would happen at the last minute to get through. I believe in that stuff. That kind of stuff happens to us all the time.


So...the weather isn't the only thing in charge.





2 comments:

Mark Perry said...

you are so right...and thank goodness the weather ain't in charge!!!! :) hope it stops raining!!!

Mark Perry said...

oops...its stacy! not mark!