Sunday, May 23, 2010

Spring Getaway to Moab

In order to post about what I really want to write about (Little D's 8th Birthday) I have to first get these pictures on here. Dave and I went on our yearly trek to Moab this Spring. Been going for about 5 or 6 years...but we also went while we dated and Dave went all the time before we ever met.


Some spring we are having! This is what Utah County looked like when we hit the highway in Spanish Fork Canyon. Winter Wonderland.

It came down for about an hour or two into the trip....

...but by the time we hit Price, the weather had shaped up a bit. That is what I like about heading South!


We drove straight to Slick Rock and got our bikes out. It was probably 50 degrees at the beginning of the 10 mile loop which is pretty nice when you are doing something strenuous.


Dave was really on his game this time around at Slick Rock. He usually out-does me on technique but I can out-do him on endurance, but this year he had me breathing hard and not at all ungrateful when he wanted to stop for a breather. Maybe it's because he isn't lugging around that ten-pound alien baby kidney...or maybe it's because he's been swimming and getting ready for a sprint-triathlon. Whatever it is, he did great.

I did pretty good too. I consider it a triumph to leave Slick Rock without going head over handlebars. I have been lucky all these years thus far.

We took pictures at our traditional spot. If I cared to, I could put up all the many pictures that we have taken over the years in this particular spot. It is an awesome view.

Dave did skin his knee...but while I consider it a triumph not to have injuries, he considers it a battle wound he can show of. Plus he likes to pick scabs so that's another bonus.


After taking a few pictures here, we hopped on our bikes and got going but we weren't fast enough for a storm that blew through. About 2.5 miles from the parking lot we got snowed on. I think that storm we passed through on the way to Moab caught up with us. I guess that is what's bad about heading south. We kept biking though the rock really did get slick from the snow/sleet. No accidents though. Triumph!!

After Slick Rock we met up with a lot of people for the scooter rally at the campground Big Bend right on the Colorado River. The weather would pass between sunshine and rain, but it was better than being back home where I heard the weather passed between snow and rain.

Is it weird to have affection for a gas station? I have affection for the Maverik in Moab. It is where we change our clothes to go biking, where we change our clothes after biking, where we get our snacks, where we gas up our scooters...I just like the place.

Several friends came to Moab for the scooter rally. We rode through Arches National Park on our scooters and it was spectacular of course. How could Arches not be spectacular?



We did some leisure hikes...

Finally felt the sun on our faces...



Saw blue skies...


Climbed red rock....

And I can't wait to go back next year...


With our scooters and our bikes.

3 comments:

~j. said...

You inspire me. I love to see the adventures you two go on.

Sprint Tri?! Awesome! Where? When?

Kerri said...

I admire the trips your two take together & the way you keep you relationship alive. I wish Moab weren't so far away from us. What a fun place.

Perry Family said...

looks like a fab time. you always write such great things. i like your stories of your life!