Monday, July 23, 2012

Timpanogos

During the summer of 1981 when I was almost six years old, my family got together with my mom's side for our annual Rector family reunion at Aspen Grove.  My older brother Trevor had just turned eight and was ready for his baptism.  All the adults and older grandkids (I was excluded) hiked from Aspen Grove to Emerald Lake near Mount Timpanogos.  Trevor was baptized by my dad in those icy glacier waters.  Ever since then I have wanted to do the hike.  The lake was as mysterious to me as the name was enchanting.  I ask myself today why oh why it took me so long (30 years) to do it.  

Once I started out on the hike with my two little boys and we only got as far as this waterfall (in the picture below) before I realized it would be too much of a hike for toddlers.  Over the last several years I have written "hike Timp" on my list of things I want do but time would get away from me and the snow would come before I realized that yet another year had passed.

Today I hiked Mount Timpanogos!  I dipped my hands in Emerald Lake and pocketed a couple of stones from the water to keep.  I thought about Trevor getting into the water- I wish they would have let me come along when I was a child.  I would have liked to have seen it.

If it was anything like what I saw today I would have been awestruck.























I want to thank my good friend Bobbie for helping me make today happen.

No comments: