Sunday, August 19, 2012

Epic Ride 2012

Last summer Dave and a couple friends were invited to attend an event called Ride to Remember in Southern Utah.  He enjoyed the ride so much that he planned a similar ride, with improvements, for a small group of our friends this year.  We met up on a Thursday afternoon in August near Torrey, Utah and went on the first part of the ride through Capitol Reef.  The quiet ride in and out was very enjoyable, though just an appetizer.  The best part was still to come.  On Friday we rode back through Torrey and into Koosharem, then Antimony and on to Bryce Canyon.  We spent the afternoon exploring Fairyland at Bryce before heading down through Tropic, Cannonville, Henrieville and on to Escalante.  On Saturday, we rode along the thrilling Hogsback on Scenic Highway 12 out of Escalante before taking a detour hike down to the upper falls at Calf Creek.  After jumping into the cool water, wading through the creek bed and swimming up to the falls we hiked back out and continued up and over beautiful, dear to my heart Boulder Mountain and then back to Torrey.  



The ride was amazing.  Besides seeing some of Utah's most beautiful scenery, we didn't have any break downs or blow outs on the scooters and we ate at some delicious restaurants.  If it weren't for a possible bed bug sighting, all would have been perfect.  I can tell you this though, nothing could have made me miss this Epic Ride, not even a bug.


Loading up

Stopping along the way to Torrey at a local shop.

The view from our balcony at the hotel

riding into Capitol Reef

stopping to see the petroglyphs

Behunin Cabin

Old School House

lovely Fremont River- a boy's dream come true

riding out of Capitol Reef

Stop at Antimony

Bryce Canyon



how does it grow like that?

I could stay here forever- I love it.  Dave and I hiked down a bit into the canyon and then I walked along the rim. 


Angie, Kaerlig, Jen, Nick, David B., Sheena, Zac, Madison, Mike (and David taking the picture)

a picture on the Million Dollar road from Escalante- Hogsback


Hike down to Upper Falls at Calf Creek

a series of waterfalls


Dave

Madison

Mike

Nick

Kaerlig

our picnic spot

cool deep pools


Calf Creek = secret get-away for Dave and I



at the top of Boulder Mountain

trying to match the color scheme of the Italian Flag 

Kaer and Dave

By the way, I rode Dave's Stella because my GL is waiting for parts.  I fell in love with the Stella- super cool ride.

1 comment:

Daphne said...

Oh my I am so jealous! We were down to Capital Reef two weeks ago and said as we drove into Wayne, we need to do a scooter ride down in this area of Utah! So happy you had a safe and happy trip!