It is late. I shouldn't be awake still but I am. David took Lou to a Father's and Daughter's camp out, the boys are asleep, and I left the book I wanted to read at work so I am filling the void. This morning began at 4:55 a.m. when I awoke to get ready for work. I work at the local hospital on the Pediatrics floor. I am an RN. I've been there six years. I rode Dave's scooter to work and got report on my patients by 6 a.m. Without giving any names (confidentiality and all) I took care of a kid with a pulmonary embolism (Weird. That was my first one of those), a handicapped kid with aspiration pneumonia, and a new onset diabetic. I assessed patients, took vital signs, checked blood sugar, counted carbs, gave insulin, drew labs to check electrolytes and acetone, gave lovenox sq, placed pt on oxygen, had incentive spirometry done, changed big wet briefs, ran TPN and lipids, gave meds through G-Tube and IV, changed position of pt, kept an endless supply of Disney movies running, helped with new admissions getting labs drawn, had families oriented to our floor, called report to doctors and took orders, served meals, drinks, and snacks, measured urine, hung new IV bags, did room air trial, passed meds, scarfed down lunch, and did it all again three or more times (except for the scarfed down lunch thing).
It was a busy day on our floor. I like working there but only because I only work one shift a week. So I can't complain too bad. I do, however, work as a "substitute" nurse at a local elementary school. I work with handicapped kids that have trachs and G-tubes and need a nurse near by. I fill in for my friend whenever she can't be there. The ironic thing is that I get paid more to do the sub-nurse thing than I do at the hospital working with higher acuity patients. That doesn't make sense now does it?
Now it is so late and I am so tired that my eyes are burning. I changed the colors on my blog. Here are some sunflowers to look at. Your welcome.
4 comments:
It might spice things up a bit if you let a patient die once in a while. Just a thought. . .
Ha Ha. That's only my greatest fear (that and a lawsuit).
Kaerlig,
Can I link to this post for another Pediatric Nurses Week post?
I think it is a good representation of what craziness happens during the shift, the breadth of responsibilities, etc.
I am so impressed by you....I have a special love for ped nurses. Blake has always been lucky to have fun nurses at school. I always feel like I need to give them the world by the end of the school year...for all they do. By the way...you could never get paid enough!
Post a Comment