Saturday, February 7, 2009

My exposure to art is limited to what I can remember from my AP art history class my Senior year. I don't remember very much and I haven't studied anything since then. I have visited an art museum in San Francisco and in Cairo. Beyond that, my only other exposure to art is from visits to the BYU Museum of Art at times with my kids. On the flip side, I have been to the Dinosaur Museum at Thanksgiving point, The Bean Museum, The Earth Science Museum, and The Children's Discovery Museum more times than I care to count. My point here is that I don't know much--about art anyway.

My sister-in-law Laura (aka Willa) is getting her master's degree at the U in art history. I feel totally incompetent when it comes to carrying on an intelligible conversation about art with her but I like to lean on her interests a bit. A while ago I decided that I wanted some artwork to cover my many bare walls. I wanted artwork specifically of Jesus Christ to help serve as a visual reminder to me and my kids of Him. I saw a print of The Christ by Minerva Teichert in Willa's home and knew it was exactly what I wanted. I had seen Minerva's art in The Ensign and also at BYU Museum of Art. Willa gave me a framed print of The Christ as a gift. It is on the wall in my home that we see right as we pass through the front door. I think it is beautiful.

Who is this that cometh down from God in heaven with dyed garments; yea from the regions which are not known, clothed in his glorious apparel, traveling in the greatness of his strength? And he shall say; I am he who spake in righteousness, mighty to save...I have trodden the wine-press alone, and have brought judgment upon all people... D&C 133:46-47,50.


Willa also introduced me to the artwork of Brian Kershisnik. I saw Nativity at BYU Museum of Art last winter. It was impressive to me not only because of its height and width (spanning a wall by itself) but also because of the emotion I felt when I saw it. I'm not going to write what I felt because it wouldn't come out right and it would probably sound pitiful to those who know art. David just gave me a copy of Nativity to put on our wall and I'm really eager for him to hang it.

Look and behold the condescension of God! 1 Ne 11:26

5 comments:

Jennette said...

Wonderful! I love both artists, too. I have always wanted to see Kershisnik's Nativity in person--one more downside of not being in Utah. I hope you love it in your home.

Anna said...

I love both. The Brian Kershisnik peice is amazing.

rusted sun said...

I have the same Minerva Teichert painting in my house. I love it. I am also a fan of Kershisnik...and a BIG fan of Willa.

Perry Family said...

I am right there with you...don't know much about art. Although I have been to the Louver (the one in paris...and not so good with the spelling either) And many other art museums in Italy...the Vatican in Rome and other places in Venice & Milan and some museums in London. I went the summer before my Junior year in high school and it did help me get through world history, but to much avail, haven't used any of that knowledge since! I would love to go back.
I love these pieces of Christ you have in your collection. They are very cool!

Hurtado Family said...

Kaer, thanks for the shout out! I always feel like I don't know about exercising or children's health after talking to you. I'm not sure what's more useful...grand ideas or one's health. Mmmm? I'm glad Dave got you that nativity after giving it away to someone else.