Wednesday, February 18, 2009

My Piano

Some of the chapels in Bolivia had a piano but often no one knew how to play so we'd sing a cappella and off-key each week. Most of the hymns' melodies were changed a bit too (a result of bolivianos learning songs without a piano) which made some gringos a bit annoyed--but I decided early on that I was going to yield to the mission which meant not only eating what they ate and speaking how they spoke but also singing how they sang.

I didn't realize that one of the expectations that Bolivian members have of American missionaries, especially sisters, is a.)to be able to sing like an angel, and b.)to know how to play the piano. On both of these expectations I was a total upset. I couldn't play the hymns and bring the loveliness of accompaniment to the meetings. I actually did take lessons as a kid from the ages of eight to twelve but because of craziness in my home life and insufficient funds I had to quit. I lost almost everything I had learned and wasn't able to do much other than pick out the right hand and play some memorized songs. I did try to play the right hand of hymns in Bolivia, but it was a mess- a complete embarrassment and failure. I think the members there saw me as a broken sister missionary. That is how I felt. After that I gave the piano up for good...or for a while.

A few years ago my mom asked me if I could house the piano that I grew up with since she was short on space in her home. At the time, I didn't know where I would put it either so I told her no. The piano then went to my older brother. Not long after that I started to kick myself for saying no. When my brother moved to California recently I was secretly hoping his new place would be too small and he'd have to leave the piano. That didn't happen.

I started to contemplate life without a piano and my kids not ever having the chance to play and that life felt dreary and heavy. Some of my favorite memories are hearing the hymns played on the piano. It wasn't me playing...it was my friend Emilie who would eat dinner with us on Sundays. I told David two years ago that I needed a piano and I wanted to start taking lessons again. Dave blew me off because it didn't seem important to him. He quit the piano early on after his mom told him all about sex. He couldn't stand it when his piano teacher sat next to him on the bench and her leg touched his. He probably associates pianos with that creepy feeling to this day. He also sees a piano as a large, heavy, and noisy piece of furniture and that's it.

My friend down the street, who had two pianos and needed to sell one, knew that I had this desire to get a piano no matter what. She sold me her piano (David grumped and sulked about the fact that he didn't have a choice in this) and after one month of asking David to get some men to move it, he finally did. Yesterday, our home became more of a home. I am really excited about taking it up again. I have already been trying to play primary songs and was delighted after I played Jesus Once Was A Little Child when I heard Lou and little D singing it around the house.

8 comments:

b. said...

Congratulations!
I love it....a decision you will not regret!

Perry Family said...

I love having a piano in the home just for the sake of playing hymns and primary songs for my kids! so glad you got one, it can bring the spirit in so fast!

rusted sun said...

I relate with your story. I always felt guilty on my mission where there was a building with a piano and I was expected to play. I too quit lessons early on, I decided soccer was more interesting. I often wish I could play, even more now that I am a mother.

You should get the simplified hymn book at the distribution center. It has easier cords.

Congratulations on your new piano.

Emilie and Branden said...

When do I get to come over and play?? Get the fam together for some singin'!

Jennette said...

Congratulations! And your enthusiasm to take it back up again yourself will certainly help your kids be interested in lessons of their own.

p.s. I'm totally laughing at David's reason for quitting.

Lyn Hunter said...

I thought that I was the only broken hermana in South America. I remember one sacrament meeting that I did try to play just the top hand. What a disaster. We have many instruments in the house but what we miss is a piano. My husband was one of the kids who always wanted piano lessons but never got them. So one day, hopefully soon, we will have few violins, a cello, a few guitars, some acoustic and some electric, a mandolin, a trombone, (I think there are more but honestly, I can't keep them all straight) and finally, a piano.

Anonymous said...

Hey Kaer!

I tagged your blog as brilliant:)

xo,

Chelsea

Anna said...

This is so exciting. My piano story is quite similar to yours. We now have a keyboard, which is lousy, but better than nothing. I can't wait to have a piano. Congrats on your home becoming more of a home.