Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Apple Peaches Pumpkin Pie

This year I could only count on Little D to help harvest the pumpkins. Even though many pumpkins were trying to grow it was a meager crop and only two are Jack-O-Lanternable. I let Little D have at it with a heave hoe!

Pumpkin Number One




Pumpkin Number Two






I also harvested my carrots. It was a heebie-jeebie experience. I never knew what I would pull up out of the earth and how many appendages it might come with. It was akin to Harry Potter and the Mandrakes.


Here are the best of the crop and we are going to eat every single one! Because they are tasty and I grew them. (I had to chuck some of the more gruesome ones.)

My next task is applesauce.

About 6 weeks ago I started to work with David at The Scooter Lounge. I like it a lot- something that surprises me quite a bit. I go to work in the morning with Lou and then swing her by kindergarten and work until school gets out. Working at the shop has had two major effects on my life. The first is that I have lost significant hours during the day when I used to clean the house and run errands etc. so now I try to squeeze that all in after the kids get home and if you only knew how horrific it is to bring Ray along on errands you would really feel for me. My time is frantic and furious. The second effect working at the shop has had on me is that I don't really want to do all those things that need getting done like the cleaning and the cooking and the laundry and the shopping. I've found myself wanting to spend more time at the shop...but I know I have to keep this in check with domestic necessities and more importantly with being a good mom. I wish my kitchen would cook food by itself. I have yet to really let the housework slide too far--that's not my personality--but it used to consume a lot of time in my day and now it doesn't. I'm glad it doesn't. It feels like I'm waking up. Now I pick one or two things that need to be done (like the dishes and cooking dinner) and that's all I have time to do.

So I want to make applesauce. I bought a HUGE box of apples tonight and I have to find time to do this. I can already see what is going to happen.

I'll be staying up late- very late- one of these nights.

7 comments:

Linda Dickinson said...

wow! I am so jealous of your garden. I can't believe you pulled those huge pumpkins out of your ground...we vegasans are impressed!

akagi79 said...

Your pumpkins look great! I need to start my applesauce too!I just hate the mess it makes! LOL!

Barnes Squad said...

I am glad I am not the only one that had a horrible pumpkin season in the garden, and lets housework slide. I question often why I even try because it will just look like a tornado came through again in about an hour.

Brooke said...

Kaerlig, I can't believe you grew those pumpkins! You are amazing. I'm very very impressed.

Jennette said...

Those carrots are awesome! I tried carrots last year, with no luck at all. You're inspiring me to try again. And the pumpkins! When I just spent $12 to buy the ones for my kids to carve up, I totally thought that next year we'd better plant. Good for you.

Bobbie said...

Wow, what a garden. I only got one pumpkin this year, but I planted right in the middle of blackberries, so what do I expect? Did you do applesauce yet? I did 40. Ugh, it took forever!

Perry Family said...

I love how big those pumpkins got! How cool to see the work of your own hand! And all those carrots! Good luck with applesauce!!