Saturday, October 10, 2009

The First Time

Songs come into my head to give words to my emotions. Not every single line expresses how I feel but the music fills the background of my thoughts.

When I was six, my dad bought a tape player with headphones. I wanted to listen so bad but my brothers got first dibs and they monopolized it for what seemed like days but it was probably only hours. I was awakened from sleep when my brother placed the headphones on my ears for the first time and I was astonished by how the music filled my head. It was everywhere around me. My senses were awakened. I yelled over the music to say how much I liked it.

People and places have music in my memory.

My childhood is The Beatles and the song Band on the Run.
The boy I liked in high school is The Origin.
Hartman and Trevor are The Jam and The English Beat.
My Vegas friends are The Smiths.
Provo High is The Indigo Girls and Edie Brickell.
A guy I dated is Green Day.
Another guy is Cowboy Junkies.
Another guy is The Red Hot Chili Peppers.
Freshman year is The Cranberries and The Specials.
Ray-ray's birth is Coldplay.
Saturday night is Bee Gees and Abba.
Alaska is Fleetwood Mac.
The Good Earth is Tracy Chapman.
My mom is Sting.
Little D's colic is Gypsy Kings.
My mission is Shakira.
Provo is Sunfall Festival.
Summer 2009 is Josh Ritter and Arcade Fire.
Sunnie is Crowded House.
Zee is Natalie Merchant.
Emilie is Heart.
Amanda is Bjork.
Jacob is Jamiroquai.



David is U2
and Cocteau Twins
and Radiohead
and Stereolab
and Arcade Fire.
and The Ocean Blue
and Mazzy Star
and Cafe Tacuba
and Elvis Presley
and Cowboy Junkies
and The Sundays
and Wilco

Somewhere in there is Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Talking Heads, The Proclaimers, The Cure, Echo and the Bunneyman, Everything But The Girl, Toad The Wet Sprocket, Eurythmics and even Enya...

and more...


But the music I always come back to over and over is and may always be U2. They fill the background of my thoughts over and over.



The First Time
by U2

I have a lover
A lover like no other
She got soul, soul, soul, sweet soul
And she teach me how to sing

Shows me colors when there`s none to see
Gives me hope when I can`t believe that
For the first time I feel love

I have a brother
When I`m a brother in need
I spend my whole life running
He spends his running after me

When I feel myself going down
I just call and he comes around
But for the first time I feel love

My father was a rich man
He wears a rich man`s cloak
Gave me the key to his kingdom (coming)
Gave me a cup of gold
He said `I have many mansions
And there are many rooms to see`
But I left by the back door
And I threw away the key

For the first time
For the first time
For the first time
I feel love



3 comments:

Bobbie said...

I knew you were the right one to come to for music.

Linda Dickinson said...

So true So true...people/music are like fingerprints

Shenay said...

I'll think of you when I'm at U2's concert :)