Sunday, October 18, 2009

Goblins Everywhere 2009

We went camping in Goblin Valley for my birthday (my choice). The boys took off running. David called out for Raycito to watch out,,,because he might actually start hiking.


Later Ray went over his rules of hiking with me.
  • 1. Must not be mandatory
  • 2. Must be able to wander wherever he chooses.
  • 3. Must be able to stop and rest whenever he chooses and for as long as he chooses.
  • 4. Must not be a sunny hot day.
  • 5. Must be no sand that can get into his shoes.
If all this criteria is met, he will "hike" happily.


Lou hikes happily so long as she's holding hands, being held, or is otherwise attached to her dad.




We went with cousins and friends (9 adults and 14 kids to be exact).



Half of the group took off is search of a cave that the other half of the group told us about.



The Dave Hurtado clan stopped along the way for an unsuccessful photo opportunity.


The Tom Hurtado clan stopped for a more successful photo opportunity.




Following vague but surprisingly accurate directions, we found a slot in the rock that was the opening to the cave we were in search of. I opted to be the last one to go in because my anxiety button gets pushed when people are in front of me and behind me in such tight quarters.

Upon squeezing through, the slot opened up into a little room full of people I love. It was very dark in there but there was a stream of sunlight coming through from above.

The men climbed up and found that they could get out through the top. It was a cool adventure



and a great 34th birthday.

8 comments:

Emilie and Branden said...

Fun! I wanted to go camping for my Bday, but that didn't happen :( I'm bringing you stuff whether you like it or not.

Bobbie said...

We'd like to make it a tradition. I can't remember the last time I've seen stars that bright and clear. Thanks for the idea and the insight on the great campsite. So fun!

Brooke said...

Kaerlig, your family is SO cute! That looks like such a fun trip. Some day we'll have to try it. I hope you are doing well!

Angie said...

GV is one of our family traditions and favorites! What a fun place...I have many memories camping there and hiking around in the back country...finding the caves and hiding spots. And I LOVE your family picture! Happy Birthday!

Linda Dickinson said...

Happy Happy Birthday KaerliG! Remember when you used to hate that your birthday was later than everyone else in school...payback time now. You'll always be the youngest one out of us all...HAHA!

Hurtado Family said...

Happy Birthday Kaer! Thanks for always letting us tag along.

Vanessa said...

We were hiking in snow today with freezing toes. You guys look sooo warm in the southern Utah fall heat.

Jennette said...

Happy (late) birthday! What a cool trip. We went to Goblin Valley this summer when we were visiting and I couldn't believe how crazy the kids went for the place. Such a fun trip. Glad that it was a good one for you guys.