Other titles for this post are:
Watched Pot
April Fools Day- You Suck!
You've Got To Be Kidding Me
This Is No Joke
My Life Is An Open Blog
April 1, 2007, I took a pregnancy test in the morning thinking it would be negative. I wanted to use it to play a joke on David and pretend I was pregnant and then he'd look at the pee-stick and ha ha! gotcha! he'd know I was tricking him. We had been trying to get pregnant again for about nine months at that time. As it turned out the test was positive. Although my joke wouldn't turn out quite as I planned, I was really happy. I was pregnant. I was so excited I dusted off my What to Expect When You're Expecting book and started thinking about boy and girl names.
A few weeks passed and I started to feel lousy and then had what seemed like a major dose of PMS and then I miscarried. It really had been a big old joke after all. After a few days of emotional upheaval, I pulled myself together. My brain made the 180 shift it needed and I headed off to the gym for some punishment. I figured fine, if I'm not pregnant, I might as well get in swimsuit shape for the summer.
A whole year passed and I didn't get pregnant again. On the one hand, I thought it was pretty convenient because we didn't have to use any form of birth control and we could have all the fun we wanted. On the other hand, I kept wondering if something was wrong with me or if something had changed. I didn't want to get too worked up about it but every month I felt slight disappointment. So I'd go to the gym. I like pounding out my frustrations or worries there.
April 1, 2008 was deja vu. It just so happened that I took another pregnancy test that morning and wha-la! I was pregnant. This was no joke. There was definitely a second pink line. I couldn't believe it would fall on that day again. I let myself get even more excited than the previous April because I figured that this one had to stick. I think that was why I was not only sad, but also angry when after a few weeks, I went through the same thing as before. Another miscarriage. What was going on? After a little bit longer than the year before, I got over it and went on with my life. It was out of my control. I pounded it out at the gym again. If I didn't have that hour of stress relief five days a week I think I would just cry. I did do a little crying but then told myself to stop it and I tried to hold on to gratitude.
So here I am one year later. April 1, 2009. I find it unbelievable and some kind of joke that I have an appointment today of all days with my nurse practitioner at Valley OBgyn. I just had another miscarriage and they are checking me out to make sure I am OK. The stupid song by Alanis Morissette Ironic pops in my head.
In January I had a positive pregnancy test. This time David was so excited that he told the kids right away. I was just as excited- though wary. The kids told a number of people that they were having a new baby. I'm not even sure who they told so I'm not going to worry about setting the record straight with everyone. I have had a lot of blood drawn lately and everything was looking just right until I went to have an early ultrasound at Maternal Fetal Medicine. Nothing looked right on the ultrasound and I was told to go get more blood drawn and when that result came back I was told to stop taking progesterone (I had been taking it due to my history) and that soon I would miscarry. I had a rocky week (or two).
A while ago my friend from high school asked if I would run the Wasatch Back on her team this June. I told her I would love to...unless I was pregnant. When I got that positive test I told her about it and that my sister would take my place. I guess now I'm back on the team and instead of having a baby, I'll be running three legs of an all-nighter race from Logan to Park City.
It doesn't seem like an equal trade.
17 comments:
I'm so sorry...
b. You know, things are OK and after what you've gone through I've no room to complain.
Kaerlig- Thanks for sharing. I'm so sorry. Everything about motherhood has been harder than I ever imagined it would be even just starting from getting/staying/being pregnant. My heart hurts for you and your sweet family. You are loved and your pains are known and understood- even when we can't see the logic.
Oh Kaerlig, I'm so sorry! I'm glad you're willing to share. Sometimes I think we really need people to recognize and share our grief. I hope you find answers. All the "unknowing" in life can make me crazy sometimes.
Oh man....sorry.
I'm so sorry. It is just so hard to have to be dealt such a lousy hand. Good luck in the race and better luck in the pregnancy department.
I am sorry. That is a lot of excitement and disappointment to go through.
Augh! How frustrating! I was one of the lucky people to find out about the pregnancy from your excited kids! I can't imagine how disappointed everyone must have been! Another good friend of mine had a really hard time getting pregnant and she would work out like crazy to get out her frustration each month. I'd be happy to pound it out with you during one of your training runs!
); I'm sad, and I love you
My heart breaks a little every time I hear about a miscarriage. One year, I had a miscarriage during the preparations of Thanksgiving dinner for a bunch of people I didn't really know. Thanksgiving will never be the same. I think I'm okay until I spy a baby and have the urge to steal it and take it home with me. Thanks for sharing your experience and sometimes I think the sharing helps spread the burden of the pain .....just a little bit.
Your strength through all of this has really been an example to me.
Thanks everyone. It does help to share and not carry it all quietly.
Kaerlig... I'm sorry :( Big hugs, and love you.
My heart aches for you, Kearlig. I hope that you will find healing in all it's forms from all it's sources as soon as possible.
Catching up on your blog.....
So sorry! I can't even imagine, so my heart goes out to you.
Hang in there...hopefully they can give you some answers soon...
How dumb... I'm so sorry too and I think it is good you are so open. It is your reality and it isn't your fault. Love and miss and prayers.
Post a Comment