Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Rocky Rocky Week

Ray announced to me about ten days ago that he was so excited about Spring Break because all he was going to do was play computer games and watch TV. The whole time. I told him I had a couple of other things in mind for Spring Break like going to Rock Canyon or the sand dunes. He immediately pulled out old boo radley and told me there was no way, no way! he was going to go on any hikes or go anywhere I wanted for that matter. I let him rant knowing full well that I was going to get my way no matter what fight I had to pick. I was going to pick this battle. I realized I had to pick this battle when Ray gave up Karate because it interfered with his time with media. I had to pick this battle because both boys were acting entitled. I had to pick this battle because although I set limits, they were starting to get sneaky. Any time I turned my back, they were turning the TV back on. I hate that thing. It is a competitor. It sucks family time and attention away...and love and wellness and good feelings and it just makes me sad.

I had to work over Easter weekend at the hospital and when I came home Sunday night, Ray met me excitedly to tell me that he (or should I say his dad) had won the video game that day. "Oh. Ray, were you playing video games on Sunday?" He had broken a rule. No video games or TV on Sunday except church videos. He tried to blame it on his dad. This gave me pause (a plan formed) and cause to start The Ban.

Monday April 13, no TV or computer: boo radley day. Little D cried for about an hour but then went outside to play. Ray yelled at me and told me he was bored and wouldn't participate in the painting projects I laid out. He said he had lost all his creativity and would never! get it back. All the more reason for the ban I told him.

Tuesday April 14, no TV or computer: boo radley day multiplied Ray spent much of the day in time-outs because he couldn't stop calling me a jerk or trying to hit me. Little D and Lou had already gotten over the horror of the ban and decided to play with each other.

Wednesday April 15, no TV or computer : Except that David left out his laptop on purpose so the kids could play Spore -which they did until I woke up. Ray had apparently left a convincing note for his dad begging him to leave his computer out. (Dave you are a bootlegger!) For the first day of spring break we went to a pizza party with friends, saw art by Walter Wick and then went to The Creamery for ice cream. Ray continually asked when The Ban would be over and threw in a couple jerks here and there but I know he had a good day. (I won't mention in detail the huge melt down that Ray did have at one point.)

Thursday April 16, no computer: I let the kids watch a little TV after they did chores. They chose to watch the history channel on UFO sightings (real historical). We spent the day with cousins in SLC where they actually played with each other the whole time. Driving home, The Ban came up again. Ray said I couldn't change him and that The Ban had to be over on Friday. I reminded him that he had watched TV and he had played the computer the day before so why was he complaining so much? The Ban stands.


Friday April 17, no computer but they could have movie night if they (Ray) didn't push me: We went to Rock Canyon in search for rocks. Ray and little D scrambled up ahead with me in the run-off bed which was still dry. Lou lingered behind us with David gathering different colored rocks. Blue, white, orange, red, pink, and purple. Ray said it was a great adventure and he didn't want to go home and that it was way better than watching TV. goodbye boo.

Saturday April 18, no computer, yes to Sat. morning cartoons: We later drove out past Delta and went searching for Trilobites. This was quite an adventure.

After such a rocky week
we smashed and pounded,
dug in the gravel,
hammered out the bugs,
literally
and we were rewarded
with quality time
and peace and love.
Look at these beauties Ray found. He is opening up a Trilobite store.

This gorgeous one was found by little D. It's huge.


And The Ban still stands.

13 comments:

b. said...

You're doing a GREAT job, Mom!

We used to LOVE to go rock hunting...you guys have some great finds!

John and Julie Kupper said...

They will be thanking you some day for always taking them on outdoor adventures!!

Kaerlig said...

Thanks b.
I hope so Julie.

We got about 45-50 trilobite fossils. Some are better than others and some are awesome.

You want to buy? one dollar.

rusted sun said...

Well done on staying strong through the tough start to the ban. I'm with you....TV sucks the love, wellness and goodness out of me. My kids are too young to watch TV but I can get sucked in if I don't put up limits.

Tara said...

I banned the TV 9 years ago and haven't looked back. I don't even know what it is to miss anymore, except for when we go visit family and stay at a house with TV (I have to admit that I love watching all the cooking shows). My 9 yr old son knows what TV is (he watches it plenty at Grandma's house) but has no complaints about no TV at home. In fact, he gets in trouble for reading instead of doing his chores, or going to bed, or whatever. We just watch a couple of movies on the weekends, maybe some time on the computer for games, but that's it. Our kids' spare time is spent on music and reading. My husband sometimes says he wants TV again and I just look at him. "Sorry dear."

Manna said...

Strong work Kaer. I fully support the Ban!

heart,
Manna

Perry Family said...

Kaer- you are one awesome momma!! Way to do the best things for your kids!!! Thanks for being such a strong example for me!!

Angie said...

Way to keep going! We haven't had tv for 2 years now, and the first couple of weeks was hard, but now it is just our way of life. We do watch movies here and there (to keep mom sane) and I watch some shows on the internet like "Amazing Race" and "Survivor." I've noticed that my girls are much more creative and imaginitive. I wouldn't change back.

As for the trilobite hunting, that looks like SO much fun! I can't wait to take my girls...

Kerri said...

Way to go Kaerlig! What a powerhouse. What a persistant son.

It's so good to hear there are people out there that don't have TV. We get two channels with our bunny ears, until the digital switch. Then we'll get one. My kids are even tired of their movies. They hardly ever watch them anymore.

I do hear, "Mom, can I play webkins?" at least once a day. I'm getting full power out of the request. Are your jobs done? My 4 year old is becoming a pretty efficient worker. She gets all her jobs done just for the priviledge of 30 minutes computer time (I set a timer). She even knows she can't play at grandma's unless her jobs at home are done.

Boundaries. They're so healthy for kids.

Anna said...

Wow, I am impressed and inspired. I forsee a ban in our house in the near future.
I want to take my kids to that place. What a fun adventure!!!!

Anonymous said...

That was so fun to read! I can just picture it all from the beginning! I must say I busted out laughing a few times! You write so well. I love all the adventures you take your family on! Those will always be remembered and cherished.
xox kass

Jennette said...

You are an awesome mom....it's making me wish that we were neighbors so that I can copy you more closely!

LTD in Las Vegas said...

So funny...D sounds a bit like my Blake...our fight starts when he walks right through the door after school, to his room (skips washing hands) and plops down, turns on the tube to Cartoon Network (which I hate & is banned in my house)...& he knows I will always come in & turn it off...I feel your pain...You are awesome!