Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Thirty-Four in Moab

During the spring of 1994 David asked me to go to Moab and bike Slick Rock with him and his buddy. I couldn't go because of work so I suggested he go with a couple of my girlfriends that wanted to go.

The two guys and two girls went together which in turn ignited a bit of healthy jealousy in me, though I was the one to suggest they go together in the first place. How I wished I had rearranged my work schedule so it could have been me there that weekend with him.



David found a precarious spot for a snapshot. This picture became one that I would look at and study time and time again while we were apart during those early years that we knew each other.

The spot became one that David would return to later, but with me. In the spring of 1997, right after David got home from his mission and right before I was to leave on my own, we went together and biked Slick Rock and found that spot overlooking the canyon.

After we were married we started to go to Moab each spring for a scooter rally that is hosted by some friends from Denver. The last three years we decided to leave our children at home with family and bring our bikes along so we could go back to Slick Rock. It has become a tradition that I look forward to and count on.
(David tried to water the Colorado last year.)

The rally this year fell on David's birthday. We rode our scooters through Arches and also went biking. Here he is at the spot, 15 years older than in those first photos. He rocked Slick Rock and climbed hills that I had to walk. He may not be his 19 year old self (who used to barely put a foot down on the whole trail) (who rode his bike everywhere) (who was skinny as a rail) but this 34 yr old still kicked booty.
David, just to embarrass you a bit for your birthday I'm going to indulge in listing a few of the things I love about you. Everyone else can skip this part of course. In random order:
  • You are an amazingly lovable father and the kids absolutely adore you. I can never elicit the response that you get from the kids when you walk through the door.
  • You are brilliant and I feel like I can lean on your brain when I'm losing mine.
  • You like to crack boiled eggs on your head and do other silly things that make me laugh.
  • You never criticize me- not my cooking, not my cleaning, not my weight gain/loss, not anything. How did I get so blessed to marry somebody like that?
  • You are happy when I cook but you never get bugged when I don't want to and you always think what I cook is delicious--even if it's just pancakes or something. You are easy to please :)
  • You play Barbies with Lou.
  • You have fix-it skills that always come in handy for us and for many other people that you generously help.
  • You let me put my cold hands and feet on your warm ones to steal your heat and you never complain about it even though I do it all the time.
  • Whenever you teach, the kids and I listen and we feel the spirit. You have this gift.
  • You help put the kids to bed every night (even if your idea of reading stories is watching Sponge Bob with them).
  • You are calm and easy going and flexible and I want to emulate you.
Happy Birthday David


7 comments:

Perry Family said...

That was so sweet! I love the history you have in Moab and Slick Rock!! What an incredible time!

Manna said...

Kaer, you just made me love my brother even more (if that's even possible).

I'm so glad you're my sister in law. As you know, I was pretty protective of my favorite big bro when you guys started dating but you won me over in no time and there's been no looking back.

xox,
Manna

The Drizzled Apple said...

That was just too cute to read!

love you guys!
Happy B-lated Birthday Dave!

Christine and Brennan Platt said...

Only real men know how to play barbies with their daughters. You guys are a great family!

Kass Martin said...

So sweet. you two are great together. Fun bumping into you at 5 guys. It was packed and loud in there but fun and yummy. Your kids are getting so big and you are all such a cute family.

John and Julie Kupper said...

I love you also Dave...sad I missed your birthday

Jennette said...

So fun! Happy Birthday to David too! What an all-around awesome guy.

It's making me think that I should dig out one of the pictures that I have of him from when we both met in Jr. High in a Summer Ecology class. I remember thinking that he was pretty cool back then too.