Little D wants glasses. Maybe it's because both his big brother Ray and his favorite cousin Sammy have glasses and they talk about how they are twins. Little D must feel left out because he searched the medicine cabinet until he found an old pair of Ray's glasses to wear. I gave him the common sense parental speech about how he doesn't need glasses and he should be grateful he doesn't have bad eyes and that I wish my eyes were like his and I'm going to have to spend lots of money in order to do it. I also explained that wearing glasses when you don't need them isn't good for your eyes. All this didn't sink in--except for one thing. Little D started to get a headache and felt dizzy after wearing the glasses. But this only helped him to realize that he needed glasses with plain glass in them. Somehow he solicited Boo Crandall, a long-time friend of Dave and I to get him a pair of glasses that would work. Boo came through.
I saw Little D coming home from school the other day. He was riding his scooter and his backpack was on his back, and a pair of big black rimmed glasses were on his face. I think it was just about the most adorable thing I've seen lately.
He let me know that his teacher told him he could only wear his glasses to school on "Glasses Day" (whenever that is).
This all reminds me of my sister-in-law Amanda (aka Manna). David asked her to speak at his farewell when he was leaving to serve a mission. Manna was really shy back then about things like sharpening her pencil in front of kids at school and probably things like speaking in front of 200 people. She did it though and I was really proud of her. She walked slowly up to the front of the chapel, looking down (there was no way she'd sit in front on the stand). She pulled out her talk and put it on the podium and then she pulled out a pair of frames (no lenses in the frames mind you) and put them on. Her eyes are about as perfect as Little D's but with those frames, she had the courage to give her talk (with her head down the whole time). Then she took them off and folded them up and put them away and shuffled off of the stand. It was a moment that endeared Manna to me forever... like how I felt toward Little D when I saw him cruising home the other day.
manna bearP.S. No one seemed to think I was cool for wearing glasses, unless the girl who came up to me and said "I don't mean to be rude but those glasses make you look like a bug!" really meant "I'm jealous of your cool pink on the top, purple on the bottom glasses that cover half your face." Thanks mom for picking those ones out for me.
4 comments:
Camille needed glasses, and I wanted them terribly! But, still to this day I don't need glasses, and I'm SOOOOOOOOO glad. But my mom did buy me some fake pink ones that I wore all the time, and even to school one day. HA!
We have a 5 year old girl with Autism at our agency that wears clear safety glasses. We have a similar deal with her, that D's teacher does...:) I wore glasses as a kid, and I think I "lost" them.
Did you have your initials stenciled on the bottom corner of your glasses.
Glad you are at the Lounge...sorry I will miss Provophenia this year.
Marty
I used to do tin foil braces or bobby pin braces. Both zinged my nerves when they touched my fillings.
What a cute kid, and I think he looks adorable in his glasses.
I have spent the last little while catching up on all of your posts--they are fantastic, as always! You are one amazing woman. I can't think of the last time I ran more than 200 feet.
Congrats on your baby as a kindergartener. It's crazy to see stuff like that happen.
And, so cute about Little D. I used to wear a little plastic headband over the front of my teeth like it was a headgear or something. But, I did get some really ugly plastic pink glasses in 7th grade that I ended up taking some scissors to....Hey Mom, they got scratched and I can't wear them anymore...
Post a Comment