Saturday, December 13, 2008

Our Art Exhibit

Ray has always had a thing for art projects. He can do them all day, almost obsessively, if he is allowed. In kindergarten the kids had different learning activities that they rotated through each day but if Ray didn't like the activity, he'd raid the teacher's paper stash and start his own project.

He entered the Reflections art contest that kindergarten year and we were surprised when he won first place and came home with a blue ribbon. Of course, his entry was of a world of dinosaurs...also an obsession.


In first grade, he wanted to enter the contest again and was sure he was going to take first. I didn't want him to expect to win and get too disappointed so I gently told him that he might not win because there were a lot of other entries but he could try. He turned in his entry, "Rainatopia" and again won first place and came home with a trophy.

Now in 2nd grade, Ray was again enthusiastic about the Refections contest but we lost track of time and he started his project only the night before. This time, he made a Cretaceous world out of clay. I thought that this might be the year of upset...but nope. He took first place again.



While we have been very proud of Ray, we also are sensitive to little D who has also entered the contest the last 2 times but hasn't won. I think his teacher last year was clued in to his disappointment and snagged a small ribbon for him to take home. This year, little D painted this robot which I thought was very good and colorful. Poor little D. He sometimes wonders why he wasn't born first. Life sometimes isn't fair.

The night that Ray and little D worked on their entries, Lou also got into the mode and is now painting pictures every chance she gets. Here is one of a robot. We somehow got on a robot kick in our family.

David used spared parts at his shop and welded together some robots for the kids. They are pretty groovy. I think David should continue to make toys out of old parts and sell them at his shop. He could even make miniature Vespas.



Wouldn't you want one of these around the house? They would have to come with a warning: Very Heavy. Potential Weapon. Don't Drop On Your Toe.

13 comments:

rusted sun said...

You have a very impressive collection of artists in your house! I think Dave's robots are great. I don't know if my kids are old enough for them, but I would like one as a toy.

High Heels and a Sippy Cup said...

I want one of Dave's robots! Those are sweet!

Your oldest and my oldest are two of a kind I think. Zander can also do his "art projects" all day long only stopping to eat and drink.

Jess said...

Wow, your son has a real talent. That's so cool!

The Calders said...

Reflections is a cool deal, my youngest won our district contest, but didn't get entered in the nationals by the districts, she felt 10 feet tall.

I love art, so I think all you can do with the kids is great.

When is my Dave Robot coming? If he puts it on a scooter, and then a donut next to it...3 grand!!

Marty

Kerri said...

Dave's robots are way cool! I think they're sellable. I'm impressed with the art going on at your house.

Anna said...

A house of arteests! Very fine work, each and every one.

Jen said...

Ok, first the art...priceless! Second...I would love one of those robots around my house. So cool.

Perry Family said...

You have got a great, creative little artist on your hands!!

LTD in Las Vegas said...

Your a nurse...you are allowed to have dangerous objects around the house...don't you have your own stitch kit like my bro. Lorne (the dr.)?

LTD in Las Vegas said...

YOU ARE...sorry typo..hate that

Hurtado Family said...

hey we want a robot. can we order two?

Kass Martin said...

I can't tell you how impressed I am. I was always starting the night before and thought my ideas were decent and they were always a flop. I am not artistic in that way at all. I love it. Your kids are getting so big and more and more handsome/beautiful each post I see. too cute. Merry Christmas. I love the robots and would buy one if Dave were to sell them. They rock.

Vanessa said...

How much for Rainatopia? I LOVE it.