A while back, David and I had a discussion about something I can't remember now. At the end of it, David declared that I was fearful of change and the following events of my life went through my mind in warp speed:
Birth: Las Vegas, Nevada and then move to NYC.
Age 1: Move back to Las Vegas (changing houses a couple of times).
Age 4: Move to Tempe, AZ. Brother Joshua dies.
1st grade: Move to Huntington Beach, CA
2nd grade: Move to another house in Huntington Beach.
End of 2nd grade: Parents separate and mom and kids move to Salt Lake City, UT to live with grandparents in the Avenues.
3rd grade: Parents together again and we move down by Liberty Park in SLC.
Middle of 4th grade: Move to Phoenix, AZ.
5th grade: Parents are separated for a time.
Middle of 6th grade: Move across town to another house in Phoenix.
End of 7th grade: Move to Las Vegas, NV.
8th grade: Move to another house in Las Vegas.
9th grade: Move to yet another house in Las Vegas, parents are separated for a while.
Middle of 11th grade: Parents get divorced and we move to Provo.
Age 17: Parents get remarried.
Age 18: I move to Alaska for the summer.
Age 19: I move in with roommates for the summer.
Age 20: Brother Trevor dies.
Age 21: I move to Cochabamba, Bolivia for 18 months with five areas and 10 companions.
Age 23: I move in with roommates for the summer.
Age 24: David and I get married, my parents get divorced.
Age 24 to 29: David and I move five times and finally settle in David's grandparents house after they die.
That makes seven elementary schools, two Jr. Highs, two High Schools, two immediate family deaths, two parental divorces and close to thirty moves.
I answered: Afraid of change? I've had change my whole life!
But I think he is right.
9 comments:
Even though we've talked about this before, this made me get teary.
Anyone would have issues of insecurity with all of that change...the thing is, you are an amazing, strong, and wonderful woman/mother in spite of it all.
I'm so glad you're my friend.
I hate change so much! I always am waiting for things to settle, so I don't have to be so afraid! Give me routine, lol. I hope David doesn't blame you...
Seriously? Reading all your moves and changes stresses me out!! Wow....
Ok, I'm thinking that David has a point. I would be scared to leave my house if I have had to deal with all that! But it's made you the amazing person that you are!
Wow, Kaerlig. I had no idea! I am just glad you made it to Provo and PHS.
Kaerlig! I love your family and think you are so strong for all you went through growing up. And that mission of yours is amazing! I too am afraid of change, I like my comfort zone and when I have to be stretched, its usually for the better! (although I complain through it sometimes.)
Yikes. Makes my life seem like a piece of cake. You're amazing.
Kearlig=
K-kearing..yes with a K
E-ever pushing forward
A-always on the ball
R-responsible
L-loving,and lively
I-incredibly intelligent
G-goes the extra mile, (and giving)
this is what makes you a great older sister, you are an example to me.
Wow...was it really only 4 years in Vegas. It seemed I knew you guys forever here....
Post a Comment