Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Off season

Ray went through a huge growth spurt and literally was bursting at the seams in all of his clothes. His pants were only about 5 inches too short. I had to buy him all new clothes. The only thing I didn't replace right away were his snow pants. I figured he could get by for the season.

The last time we went sledding, he started having issues because the pants, actually a bib, would hike up and cause a wedgie. He first started to try to pull at it with gloved hands. When that didn't work, he tried rubbing his bum on the ground and then on some nearby bleachers. I told him he must stop it and take off his gloves to resolve the problem. He did that and then I had to take off my gloves to help him get his gloves back on. Then this whole scenario repeated itself several times. Every time he went to get on the sled, he'd get a wedgie. His gloves came off then my gloves came off. If you have been reading my blog, you'll remember that I get freezing cold hands easily so I was getting a little frustrated. But my frustration did not match Ray's. He was so bothered by now that it wasn't worth sledding anymore. Head down, he trudged home.

This brings me to the real reason why I am writing this post. I went to Target to get him some snow pants because I had just seen them there the week before. Little did I know that it was time to go swimming. All the snow gear and winter wear had been replaced by bikinis and swimming trunks. Not a mitten or a scarf or a large child size snow bib anywhere. I was a little irked. It is January for crying out loud! The first day of winter was only a few weeks ago. What kind of scam is this? I erringly thought that clothes would be available for the season we are actually in. I ended up going to Parks Sport and found some pants but they were clearing out their winter stuff too. Huh? It must have something to do with marketing and trying to get people to shop earlier and earlier. I don't know. But it seems like stores are bringing out stuff way too early. As soon as the ball dropped, they were bringing out the Valentine's candy. Do we really need six weeks to prepare for that holiday? And I know as soon as our love letters are sent out, I'll be seeing Cadbury mini eggs on the shelves. I recall last year that around the 4th of July I started hearing commercials about "Back to School". I won't even get started about how early Christmas stuff comes out.

I feel rushed.

One of my desires is to live day by day and enjoy the time that I have right now. No wonder it's hard if everywhere I go I'm rushed into the next two months, or in the case of Target, the next six month.

7 comments:

Katie said...

Wow my thoughts EXACTLY. I went to Target the other night and was equally perplexed by the ridiculous amount of bikinis on display, and also by the fact that they were clearancing all the winter apparel. It annoys me to feel rushed as well. I rush myself enough every day; I don't need more help from advertisements and media. And that is pretty funny about Ray's wedgies. hahaha and also about his animal abuse comment on that other internet network that shall remain unnamed. What a funny kid.

Anna said...

Wow, had the EXACT same experience. Needed new snow pants and could only find swim suits and Easter dresses! I hate it. It does make me feel more stressed out. And sometimes in August, when my suit is all worn out I need a new one, not a new coat. All the forcing of holidays on the public makes me anti-holiday, which I don't want to be. But when everything is so commercial it is hard not to feel turned off.
And the back to school in July shopping makes me CRAZY. The last thing I want to think about in my non-rushed, laid back summer is back to school stuff. This is bad because in August, when I need to buy the stuff and I am mentally prepared to think of sending my kids back, I have to pick through the remains and hope to find enough crayons and pencil sharpeners.....it makes me crazy!!!!!!!!

Jennette said...

Agreed! Very frustrating. My first experience with this was when Max, my oldest, was born. He has a February birthday, and do you think that I could find a warm, winter infant bundly for him...NO!!

On the other hand, when in Target last week myself, they had all of the long sleeve kids shirts on sale for $1.74, and so I could stock up on a few more for the season.

John and Julie Kupper said...

ahhh ha ha ha. the weggie thing cracks me up, because I went through those dilemas as a child, being much taller than other girls at my age, and not having money to buy new things for the season. I remember wearing Brittney Larson's clothes that were always a little too small. I can imagine her mom, Holli, getting frustrated that her daughters nice clothes were always stretched out. Although she never complained at all, instead she would buy me some clothing items of my own. I was spoiled by the second family.

Kerri said...

Have you ever tried buying a swimsuit in August? I saw easter candy here last week. My daughter pointed out how rediculous that is. She's only 4!

Jen said...

Tell me about it! I went to 3 different stores trying to find gloves for Aubrey. Annoying! I was the same way...its January for crying out loud!

Perry Family said...

Yes, it is very frustrating that things come out when they shouldn't! And then stuff gets taken off the shelves right when you need it most.