My dad had this big mixer that he'd pull behind his truck. If he had enough energy after one of his jobs, he'd pull the mixer into the driveway and spray it out. This created a muddy river of sludge that flowed down to the gutter. It would dry chalk-like over our driveway and on down the street. Sometimes, in a moment of bad judgment, the mixer would get sprayed out on the lawn forming sludgy spots and then dead grass spots. If he didn't have enough energy, he'd make one of us spray it out or if he forgot to assign the job that night, we'd get the job of banging out the mixer with a hammer the next day. This was a grueling job that created cement rocks, pebbles and dust flying all over the place. Having cement in different forms all over our front yard was embarrassing for me. I personally took on the job of front yard cement removal. I'd sweep the driveway almost daily. It became an obsession for me. Get rid of the rocks. Get rid of the dust. I could feel my anxiety melt away as I finished each thorough sweeping. The sweeping was one of the ways I took control in my life. I did things like this all throughout my childhood though I didn't know what drove me. My mom made me a bedspread to go on the bed I inherited from her. Starting at the age of 5 or 6 and for a few years after that I wouldn't sleep under the bedspread because I didn't want to make it messy. Instead I would sleep with a baby blanket on top of it. I thought I was clever because I didn't have to pull and tug the blanket each morning to make it and I always had a tidy bed.
My form of playing was to take my dolls and reposition them rather than to actually play with them. My dolls looked basically new all the time because they never did anything other than stand in new ways on a shelf. My daughter Lou actually enjoys her toys and I can tell because they are dressed and re-dressed, painted with nail polish, drug through the yard, pulled around in a wagon, pushed in a swing and loved to dirty death. I sense that Lou is more secure in her world than I was in mine.
I kept my room very clean until I got baby sisters. Kassi is 8 years younger than I and she didn't understand the importance (to me) of having an orderly room. She continually upset my world and since I was older I always cleaned up after her until I put duct tape down and divided our room. One side (mine) was immaculate and the other side (hers) looked like a tornado had touched down. She then started playing (mess-making) on my side and when I'd question her why? why? why? she said her side was too messy.
When I was older and my brothers left home for college and missions I got my own room again. My room was my private haven where the bed was always made and clothes were usually put away. When my brothers and sisters would lounge in my room talking, I'd try to ignore the uncomfortable feeling that came from the invasion.
Just as I had self-appointed myself driveway duty, I also would also appoint myself extra duties around the house. Mainly I chucked shoes, backpacks, jackets and socks down the stairs toward my brother's rooms. I would try to take on the whole house and all the chaos created by seven kids and a working mother.
I still do all these things. I used to sweep the drive way and porch repetitively until I got smart and asked David to buy me a leaf blower. Now I blow the pebbles, leaves, and dust into oblivion. I sleep under my covers now but the first thing I want to do when I get out of bed is make it. I am guilty of thinking that David didn't do anything if he didn't make the bed on the days when I leave for work before he wakes. Sometimes after work I can't do anything (like smile) until I've put my home world back together. I still chuck stuff down the stairs that the kids bring upstairs and I still take on the whole house preferably by myself.
But to my credit, I'm aware of what drives me. Cleaning my home is in my sphere of influence and one thing I can control (or try to). When my home isn't clean, it is like my world is out of kilter. Cleaning massages my anxiety and sets it at bay. It's not really about cleaning. It's about anxiety. Because I am aware of what motivated me then and now I can work on it. I tell myself "let it go" or "it can wait until morning" or "it's no big deal".
Letting the house take a thrashing and shrugging it off with a smile is on my to do list. I want to shuck off the Martha mold I was born of. (Luke 10:38-42)
7 comments:
My,My!! I can see myself doing so may of these same things. My Dad owned a Cabinet business with a shop in our back yard. I did not enjoy helping ! My Mom worked nights, my Dad was the Bishop for 10 years and I was the oldest. I took on a bulk of the responsibility of the house, dinner, etc. I did learn an awful lot! I can relate so much to this post!!
I agree....but Mike has taught me how to relax a BIT...he's proud of me if he comes home & the house is all out of sorts & laundry is everywhere. I still have to clean it up before I go to sleep or atleast stuff the clean laundry in bins in the laundry room to "appear" organized. I never knew you did that.
Hmmm . . . I wish cleaning eased my anxiety. When I feel stressed and anxious I leave the mess and eat a cookie( or two or three).
Wow, that's really insightful, and powerful. I admit that I get pretty anxious when I see things piling up around here. And when I'm upset, I clean and clean! It definitely makes me feel like at least the house is clean if everything else is a mess... :)
I love to clean as well. It just makes whatever ailes you feel better! But I admit, i do like the smell of cement mixing or freshly poured, the feel of stucco and all the bags of lime that make that stuff! you must have been a great help to your mom in keeping the house clean!
This is me this week and mainly because I feel like a let everything in my life go during the semester. Its difficult to me to go to my parents house and compare cleanliness: two people, new almost everything--carpet, kitchen, bathroom, and a monthly cleanly lady. me-old house, full of three non-cleaners, and 2.5 profound mess makers. Ioday, I complete cleaned out tom's closet and organized everything because he was complaining he couldn't find anything. When he got home he put his button up in the t-shirt section and starting digging old papers out of the large trash bag I had collected from our room. One of which as a old picture from a glass-less frame, I tell you. Sam was all over it, saying Mom, how could you throw this mostly torn up book away. it means the world to me. What I should have asked, was why did you tear it up and carelessly break the glass and leave everything on the floor. For goodness sake.I remember having a talk with Tom when we were dating about our standards of clean and tom kept telling me how he liked to keep things clean. . .I should have looked around and notice his room and unmade bed. Blinded by love and now forever picking up. Its one of life's real tragedies. Though, I must say Kear, your house is always clean and I can really let mine go when I'm stressed.
Willa, Don't look in our closets and drawers. It's a facade a tell you. Superficially clean. I hear you on the old house vs. new house thing. I think it is way easier to keep a new house clean (though how would I really know) because with an old house, you clean and clean and it still looks cruddy. David and I have staggering differences on what cleanliness means...though at least he is never on my case and I can appreciate that.
Post a Comment