More often than not I am cold. I didn't notice this much until I moved to the Wasatch Front. Before that, I lived in hot climates and being cold wasn't so much a problem. Actually, come to think of it, I did freeze indoors with the AC blasting but I didn't think I was the one having issues with temperature regulation. When I moved to Utah and realized how cold and miserable I get as soon as the weather turns nippy I thought all I needed was to get acclimatized and then the cold wouldn't be painful (I mean physically painful). Now sixteen years have passed and I still haven't acclimatized and I don't think I will ever. Cold hands and cold feet are my norm.

When we were dating David started buying me hand-warmers. For our anniversary just a couple months ago, David bought me adhesive toe-warmers (an amazing invention!). I either sleep with toe warmers stuck to my feet or I sleep with a warmed up bag of grain each night or I don't sleep. Cold feet = no sleep. The most annoying thing about my coldness is that at the same time, I could very well be sweating (and not from exercise). That makes utterly no sense. If I'm talking to someone and I get emotional in any way, I start to sweat, and then I freeze, and then shake uncontrollably. I think I have a bit of
Raynaud's Syndrome because my hands get so cold that they turn colors, or colorless. Because of my inability to stay warm, I have a hard time liking winter or enjoying winter activities. I'd rather not ice-skate, ski, sled or even make a snowman though I don't mind jogging in colder weather if I go fast enough to get my heart rate up.
Lately, I have been wanting to find something that I could do outside in the snow so that I could potentially enjoy winter a bit more. Seeing how winter creeps in during the fall and hesitates to leave during the spring, I end up hating six months out of the year. I can't live that way anymore. I decided I needed to find something that would be a low-impact cardio workout because if I get my heart pumping, I can stay warm. I also needed to find something that required a lot of snow so that I could feel excitement with the snow falling rather than dread. It also had to be kinda free like jogging or else my budget wouldn't allow me to do it very often.
I found snowshoeing. What have I been doing all my life each winter? My younger brother is an adventurous guy and he's always hiking, camping, biking, triathlon-ing, and snowshoeing. I had him take me out with him and I liked it. This is a picture of Jacob. If I stick with him, I'm sure to have lots of adventures.

I have been snowshoeing a sum total of two times now but I'm confident that it's going to improve my life six months out of the year. Little D says he wants to do it with me. I can always count on Little D to want to do the things I like. He's such a trooper. I'll have to suit him up soon and take him with me.

This is a shot of me and Sunnie, a high-school friend, heading up to Big Springs in South Fork Canyon.
5 comments:
I'm so glad you posted this, Kaerlig, cause I've been toying with the idea of trying snowshoeing too. I also have the same gripes with winter except here it's more like 8 months of the year. Thus far this winter I've mostly just wondered why the heck I live in the freezing tundra, maybe I should try snowshoeing.
I have the same cold/sweat problem...it is a relief to find someone else has it. I love the snow, but don't cope well with temperatures under 20. Corey is the happiest when it is under 20 degrees. Go figure.
I thought I was the only one with the sweating while cold problem. If you find a cure or find out why, I would sure like to be enlightened. Minnesota was rough for me. I told Brennan that following him to Minnesota after I grew up in Arizona proved it was true love. Why else would I follow him there. :)
Look at what a snow-shoeing addict Jacob has made of you! This will make him proud. :)
wow, it sure looks cold there! I loved to snow shoe when I went to usu, it was very fun! glad you found something you like during the winter!
Post a Comment