Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Disco Fever

Back in 1992, Danny H. excitedly told me and my brother Dave about this new thing called Disco Skating at Classic Skate. I got my first pair of skates when I was five and had been skating on through my childhood so I was totally up for rollerskating. I don't think any of us realized how disco skating would engulf us and swallow us whole.

The fruity fog, strobe lights, disco ball, couple skates...

Saturday night at Classic became an obsession and a craving. I'd have to admit that we weren't the grooviest skaters at first but how can you not get good at something you do week after week? We started to skate backwards then try 180's then 360's and jumps. We formulated couple dance routines. We frequented the thrift shops digging around for disco clothes and sweat bands.

When college started for us, disco only got stronger and more obsessive. Back then, it would get so crowded at Classic on a Saturday night that we could barely practice our stunts. Most of the crowd seemed like they had never had a pair of skates on in their life, demonstrated by all their arm flapping. They were known as hazards. Our elite skating group grew from high school friends to a college crowd composed of regular disco skaters. We'd meet up every Saturday night to do the Hustle on the outer edge of the rink and take turns winning the skate contests. We dominated the rink.

This obsession was passed on to our younger brothers and sisters as they started to get old enough to stay out late. My brother Jacob and his friends added even more flare by their daredevil dancing. Jacob somehow learned to groove and it surpassed anything we had yet learned.

Later many of us left home to serve missions. Not skating for months was a true sacrifice. I can testify that come Saturday night, the disco throb would somehow fill my ears miles and miles away as I imagined the rest back home rocking the boat.

We are now all grown, many with children of our own and much too mature for disco skating. That is why we only go quarterly now instead of weekly.

Here are some pictures I've compiled, though it is in no way complete.

And to see even better pictures from Emilie check out the daily cool. They are awesome.

Here are the Burton girls, Manna, Scott, Me, Jacob (my bro) and David


Here is Jacob as a young kid. Lets watch how he grows.













Jacob and his wife Katie (now parents of one future disco skater) frequently inspire us to lace up our skates and get funky.


Katie is sporting some sweet high waisted bell bottoms.



The second generation of disco skaters (Jacob's friends.)


Here is Danny H. (in wig) with my brother David, and Emilie. Em and I would alternate between couple skating with Danny, one hot skater.



My brother Dave, the Burton girls with some random guys and my husband Dave and I (not necessarily in that order- I'm wearing what looks like a maternity shirt). This is the only picture with me and my husband Dave. (After all the times I dragged him to the rink!) I wish I had a picture of his butt in those skinny blue cords.




This is a picture with some of the college regulars that added to our group. I can't remember their names. If you do, let me know.



Scott White, Kathy, friend, Manna (my sister-in-law). Lets see a few more shots of Scott and Manna.


Scott, Manna and my sister Kassi


Couple Skating. Scott and Manna always together.


Sisters Clara and Manna looking way sexy!


Would you believe that Manna went on to be a Salt Lake City Roller Derby Girl. Really! She's Kick Butt!


MannaRama



This is a rare picture of my brother Trevor and Emilie. Trevor usually danced in his skates using the run, jump, slide technique (on purpose of course).


Here is an even rarer picture! Trevor, Em, my brother Hartman, and his wife Chelsea. Hartman wasn't ever really into disco skating but we'd get him to go every so often. (Chelsea, you look like you are 12! But then again, Hartman looks like he's 18.)


Me and my brothers and sisters. We consider Emilie a sister. Where is Julie though? She must have been too little to come. The next picture will be of her.


This is Julie about 5 years ago with David in the background

This is Julie only a couple weeks ago.





Julie and Kass





Yes, this is Julie's boyfriend John. He is fully committed to our family's tradition.


Disco has even reached our northern based cousins from Alaska. This is Dallin.

Here's the group that went recently. I even see Angie J. in there.




More vintage group pictures.


And even more of the group. Can you find you?


Emilie and I getting psyched for Disco night.


Once Em and I had our friends from Las Vegas join in. I think they confused disco for rap.


Lets get some pictures of David. This is Kassi and David couple skating.

More of bro Dave, one of the original disco skaters.

Dave jumpin' the wall. (I was always too scared to try that.)




Here is a picture to check out. We got a bunch of cousins together for this. (Trent, you look so young!)



Jacob is getting some air.


Jacob and Katie (Even pregnancy didn't stop them from taking to the rink.)


I don't know why but I like this one. Trevor's in there. You got more pictures? Let's see them!

24 comments:

John and Julie Kupper said...

Kearlig! I love this post... the retro pictures make me smile! thank you having pictures of Trev :)

John and Julie Kupper said...

oh I also got really excited when I heard the music :)

The Calders said...

Kearlig, that is one sweet pic of Dave.

Skating holds a place in my heart, because it is where I fell in love with my wife. I was on a date with someone else but they dissed me, and my wife picked me to do the snowball.

BTW, I would be classified as a "hazard". I skate like a two by four on skates.

Marty

Barnes Squad said...

The whole time I am reading this post I keep thinking I have disco pictures I need to find. I will dig them up and share. I have more family pictures. What a fun post. It was fun to have the blast from the past pictures. I love the hair from back in the days.

Lyn Hunter said...

I have to say that I love the pictures. They really take me back to the good old days. Those pictures of Trevor and Hartman remind me of the church dances in Vegas. Ah, the good old days. Man are we old!

LTD in Las Vegas said...

So funny...I know I went ony like twice...I think I was getting married by then. Mike would have been awesome there only on rollerblades so I guess that doesn't count. I know I never saw you on Saturday nights! Was up w/Shenay & Mandy in those pix?

Perry Family said...

Those are some awesome pics...pretty crazy!! I went disco skating once with Camille and Jacob and Kassi...anyways...was not good at it...but it was fun!!

Emilie and Branden said...

Dude. We really are sisters 'cause I am truly, TRULY sorting through my pics of skating 2 Saturday's ago right now! I'm posting them TOMORROW! I missed you though. You should have been there. Wait till you see my pics!!

I'll put a link to this post on it. You put a link on yours too. Super Trouper.

Emilie and Branden said...

Oh yes. It was Halloween 1993 when Mandy and Shenay came up. We WERE gangsters for Halloween and just decided we must attend Disco Skating services since it was Sat. night.

Love the double exposure pic. Trev is so ghosty! Freakin' turkey. That was an awesome night. It was over Christmas vacay 1995.

A. Marley said...

I was introduced to disco roller skating by Jake and Kassi when I visited them during high school. I think the first time I went I was born to disco roller skate because I couldn't get enough! In college I would visit your mom and Jake and Kassi and Julie a lot and go discoing with them...sooooo much fun! I wish I could have been there for this last one you all went to!! :):) Cool pics, I remember when you were all that young! I love your family!

A. Marley said...

Oh, your music is great!

salreem said...

I love my disco-skating cousins. I'm so glad you made this post. Look at all the life in those photos. These are the Andersens I remember!

Kerri said...

What a genuine "Kaerlig" post. You took Rich & me disco skating before we were married. We had a blast. I might have to go dig up the photos now. I recall admiring your genuine flare for a good time.

Jess said...

Totally sweet! I use to go disco skating all the time!!

Amanda Hurtado said...

Wow! I can't believe you have all these pictures! Thanks for posting them.
heart,
Manna

A. Marley said...

Awesome blog, Kaerlig! I loved looking at it. The pictures are soooooo great!

Auntie Angie

akagi79 said...

What a fun post! It's great to remember the "days". I was thinking about the '90s, they are farther in the past then I care to remember!

Pemblemily said...

I remember going disco skating with your crew one Saturday. It was after our missions when Kerri and I were roommates. What a fun memory!

Shenay said...

Good times! I wish we hadn't dressed up like gansta's b/c some girl thought I was for real and wanted to fight me at the rink. I would've kicked her "can" though - I'm a sweet fighter!

Brenda said...

Kaerlig, you are just so cool. I love learning more and more about you through your blog. It cracks me up to think of you skating every Saturday night. I love it. You are awesome.

The Drizzled Apple said...

That was the FUNNEST! Is that a word? I don't care! I loved looking at those pictures of you all and Trevor with his killer long hair! What a stud! You know what is funny? You all haven't even changed much! hahaha.
-Love ya!

-Lucy

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOSH! I am laughing so hard at some of those pictures! I LOVE that you posted those. It brings back memories. The pic where you are wearing the "maternity" shirt was the first night I met all of you! I remember it really clear. I got the weirdest look from David when Hartman introduced us. I never understood why, but now I do! WHAT THE HECK! I totally look like a little kid in those pictures. I do not remember looking that way. No wonder everyone was freaking out about Hartman marrying me. He looks pretty young too, but my bush eye brows adn shortness do me in! I love that picture of me, Hart, Em, and Trev. Such good time!

Next time we come to visit we are going Disco skating with you!

Love ya!
Chelsea

Anonymous said...

Sorry for all the typos! I was typing too fast.

hee hee

Celhsae :)

Kass Martin said...

I love all those pictures. Disco skating is so fun. I haven't been in so long. Probably since that picture where I am 12 or something. Your family is so fun. I too like the shots with Trevor in them. He reminds me a lot of Jake and Dave. Do you still go these days? I should get dressed up and come sometime. That would be so fun.