On Sunday, February 7, 1993 I went to a fireside at the Marriot Center at BYU with my brother Hartman to listen to the prophet. President Howard W. Hunter was the speaker that night. Near the beginning of the meeting, there was a rush with confusion when a man named Cody Judy ran out onto the floor past security with what he claimed was a bomb and a detonator. He ran right up to President Hunter and stood behind him on the podium demanding that President Hunter read something about Judy being the real prophet. In the audience, we all stood up with a loud gasp and there was panic. I was scared. I didn't know what was going on. I looked around and students began scrambling out of their seats to get out of the building before this bomb went off. Escape.
Hartman stood next to me. He was still. Eyes on The Prophet. I looked at Hartman and around at the students rushing up the stairs. "Let's get out of here Hartman!" I could hear the terror in my own voice. I made a move to bolt but Hartman held my arm. "Wait" he said firmly yet calmly. So I waited. President Hunter stood tall and strong though I could see that he grasped both sides of the podium while the trespasser towered behind him. Suddenly, people started to sing We Thank Thee, O God for a Prophet and we all joined in. Judy, still with the briefcase and detonator looked around like he didn't know what to do next. A group of students near to the main floor behind Judy seized the moment to jump the wall and rush to Judy, pulling him down. The man was escorted out of the building by security. President Hunter went on with his talk. He even made a little joke to break the tension. Relief.
I think back on this experience and wonder. Was I really going to run out and leave the prophet there with a bomb (no matter how fake) at his back? How could I have thought to? I am grateful for Hartman's courage and that he lent it to me. Maybe that is a difference between men and women or maybe just the difference between Hartman and I. This experience has stayed with me and I am grateful for it. I vowed from it that I would never desert or forsake the prophet, figuratively or otherwise.
9 comments:
You were there that night??
Wow!
That's a powerful experience for you!
(trying to remember where I was)
Wow. I had never heard that story before. Isn't it interesting which experiences we have increase our testimonies? Thanks for sharing that experience, Kaerlig.
What an inspiring story, I have never heard of it before. Hartman is such a strong man, you gotta love him
I remember the night too although I wasn't there. Interesting point about sticking with the prophet. I've been thinking about that myself lately.
I wasn't living in Provo yet when that happened but I arrived the next year and heard lots of stories about it. Imagine my surprise years later when my roommate, who was know to bring home strangers off the street, would bring home for dinner none other than Cody Judy himself. Also, last year when I was at Girls Camp one of the other leaders told me that she had once meet Cody Judy and when she entered the MTC he started writing her crazy letters about how she should marry him. He also ran for the US House of Reps several years ago. According to Wikipedia he also ran for president in the last election.
Aside from all that, I love the example of sticking by the prophet, whether that be in a difficult situation like the one that you experienced or in standing up and supporting him or even more importantly in living the life that he asks us to live. I am so grateful for a living prophet.
That's such a good reminder, thanks :)
I was there that night. It was just a few weeks after I had submitted my mission papers and it was a powerful experience that is hard to convey to people that weren't present.
I was there that night too! That dude was crazy. He kept trying to sneak into the LDS Motion Picture Studio when I worked there. What a kook!
You were there?? No way! I've always heard that story. You're like, a celebrity. :)
Post a Comment