Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Six + Nine More = Fifteen Years Ago

Near the end of my senior year in high school, I got a job at Subway near campus. It was evident that the guy who managed the place, a BYU co-ed, only hired girls and then would try to date them. David knew that this place was always staffed with young eligible females, none too ugly, because his ex-girlfriend Zeebo had worked there before I did.


The first time I saw David was when he came in (to check out girls and to eat) and I was the one making his sub. The way he leaned over the high counter and smiled down to me was more than just praise for my artistic sandwich skills.


My first impression of him was 1.) tall (utmost importance), 2.) kind of wild (why are you staring at me?), and 3.) nice eyes, nice lips. He sat down to eat and I ran upstairs to change out of my uniform since it was the end of my shift. I hurried, wanting him to still be there.


I noticed that he was watching me as I stood by some windows waiting for my ride. The windows were kind of like a mirror so I stared at him staring at me. When my ride pulled up, I ran out and he went to the window to see who picked me up. He was pleased that it was my mom and not a boyfriend type.



The next time he came into the shop, I quickly went back behind the counter where he couldn't see me. I was too shy and not at all good with flirting. My co-worker came and told me that there's was a guy out there who wanted to talk to me.


I stayed back there pretending to work until after the third or forth encouragement to go talk to him. I finally peaked around and said hi and we made an awkward attempt at conversation that sounded like: Oh, you're starting at BYU too? What classes are you taking? And then he asked me for my number so I wrote it on a napkin.



I had never done that before. No one had ever actually asked me for my number either. I was seventeen and though I had dated in high school, I was very inexperienced with guys that were forward like that. I had never even kissed a boy (I don't count kissing Nathan in 7th grade as kissing).



I was a little disappointed by how long it took for David to call me. And then once he did, we couldn't go out right away because I was going out of town with my family for my parent's honeymoon (because they had just remarried--long story).



While I was gone, David took the liberty to find out where I lived and hang out in the park behind my house. I think he was just anticipating my return and not being creepy.


After dinner on our first date, David came back to my house and we sat very close talking and reading poems. At the back door, saying good night, David leaned in to kiss me.



Whoa! I turned quickly and he kissed me on my cheek just above my jawline. I grasped both his arms at his elbows to keep him from leaning in again and I admitted that I had never kissed before and wanted to take it slow. He was easy going and didn't even seem to mind the thwarted kiss.





When he left, he was so ecstatic for some reason that he went cruising down University Avenue with his music blaring, singing at the top of his lungs. He tried to take off a button-up shirt he had on over his T-shirt but pulled it off behind him before he undid the buttons on the sleeves. This trapped both his arms, nearly killing himself and the convertible he had borrowed for the date.



After that first thwarted kiss, David really did take it easy and he didn't try to kiss me again for four months until I was practically begging for it. I had made a long list when I was a young called "Kaerlig's Nevers". Included on the list besides never swear, never have a boyfriend in high school, never drink, never watch R rated movies, was never kiss until I am 18. Don't ask me what possessed me to make such a list. I'm not sure. I updated my nevers every so often throughout my adolescence and I actually kept them. Weird.


That October, I turned 18 and was ready and waiting for David to lean in and kiss me again but he never tried until the end of the December. It was worth waiting for.






That is the story of how David and I met.

Happy 9th Anniversary David.

19 comments:

b. said...

ok, THAT was so sweet!
thank you for sharing your story and Happy Anniversary!

rusted sun said...

What a great story...it made me smile the whole time.

b. said...

ps. I got to hear you tell that story in real life, but for the life of me I can't figure out how we were able to get through it in one shift! You never sit down at work! Hmmm....must have been one of those slow days.
Still just as sweet the second time around.

~j. said...

Thanks for the evolution of you through the pictures. Darin and I really enjoyed that.

I think you two are my favorite couple.

Barnes Squad said...

Happy Anniversary. Congrats!!! What a fun story

John and Julie Kupper said...

OH wow! I loved reading about all that! I guess I was there through it all but too young to understand the details...and you two have only gotten more attractive through the years... love you two!

Jen said...

ahhh, young love. What a great story! Happy Anniversary. Thanks for sharing.

brit said...

it is so fun to read other peoples little love stories! you guys are darling. happy 9!

Katie said...

That was so fun to read! I love hearing about how people meet and fall in love. Great pictures, too. You guys are awesome.

Jess said...

I was smiling that entire post, and now I have to buy "flowers in december" and think of you two whenever I hear it! Thanks for that sweet reminder of how fun it is to meet and fall in love :)

LTD in Las Vegas said...

I never realized it was over a 6 yr period...time flew...& I guess I was in the middle of being a newlywed too because it will be 13 yrs for us in Dec. I think I even missed your wedding...what I loser I was...sorry. I hope you guys have a great date planned! congrats!

The Calders said...

Ok, so am I like the only "guy" that follows your blog. I thought I was being cool and nice, and I like how both you and Dave write...but now I feel a little emasculated.

I looked at who had replied and thought...hmmm maybe this blog is for girls and girlfriends of you, and not so much a family blog:)

Nice story though, but who took the pic of you guys sinning, I mean kissing? Grandpa?

Marty

High Heels and a Sippy Cup said...

That was so fun to read, Kaerlig! Thanks so much for sharing your love story. It brought back fond memories of your wedding. Congratulations!

David said...

Thanks for nine wonderful years and three beautiful kids.

Sorry I got fat.

Kerri said...

Kudos to you. What a great post! Aren't you glad you recorded all that nostalgia for posterity? I love the train track photo.

Hurtado Family said...

Kaer,

That was so sweet and so romantic.

Dave is the funnest.

Blogger The Scooter Lounge said...

Thanks for nine wonderful years and three beautiful kids.

Sorry I got fat.

Kass Martin said...

I love your story. Dave not being able to get his shirt off and nearly killing himself makes me laugh. I have had many near death experiences changing clothes in the car-dance practice, work, party, date...always changing in the car. Happy anniversary you two and many more to come.

Brenda said...

I just cant picture Dave asking for you in subway and then trying to kiss you on the first date! too funny!

Jennette said...

Oh, I totally remember those Subway days and when you guys met and started dating! Such a cool story and you guys really are a great couple. Biggest congratulations!