Friday, November 21, 2008

The Spirit of Giving and Receiving

I've noticed in my marriage to David that he is really strong where I am weak and vice-versa. I think that we are able to compliment each other in this way and we make each other better. Of course, becoming better doesn't come without some stretching and growing pains. I think the ways that I am strong, that he really liked when we were dating, started to bug him after we got married (and me too...I mean bugged by him). We are better at being tolerant of each other and accepting our strengths and weaknesses now than back then.

One of David's strengths (hence, my weakness) is in giving. David is someone you want around when you are in a jam. Not only is he incredibly handy as Mr. Fix It, but he is also incredibly generous. He often drops his busy load to work on someones computer, wheelchair, brakes, bicycle, car, scooter (you name it). He will buy a meal for a guy he doesn't know. He gives stuff away too. This doesn't always work out to our benefit financially but Dave's mottos are what goes around comes around and do a good turn daily. I really admire this attribute although it doesn't come as naturally to me and it sometimes gives me pains. Usually when David gives something away, my first knee-jerk response is "Hey! We needed that!" and David will say "We need the blessings more." Honest. That is what he says.

A while ago, David met a girl named Pear Shape. She was new to the area and was here for school but she didn't have any friends or family in town. I think David was the first person to be kind to her. He listened to her woes and was really nice like he usually is with every unfortunate soul. So, from then on, whenever she was in a jam, like her car breaking down or needing a ride, she would call Dave. She would also come by the shop a lot. One evening I called David at work to tell him to come home because I was on the verge of killing his children. David mentioned that Pear Shape had called and she was stranded with a broken-down car. My response was "Doesn't she have any home teachers? or roommates? or friends? Come home!" I know this wasn't my best moment. David ended up coming home a couple hours later, risking the lives of his posterity, because he felt he needed to help her. It doesn't look good for the wife when she wants to kill her husband for doing service.

Later, I stopped by the shop and there was Pear Shape at the counter. I had never met her before. She looked at me, up and down, and said cautiously "Who are you?" I said very friendly "Hi, I'm Dave's wife." Then she gave me a crusty. She wasn't pleased to meet me. I had to say something to David about the crush she had on him so he could steer her in another direction. There are many scooter loungers of this variety at Dave's shop. They are people who David helps out without monetary gain in mind. This is how David is. I admire him for how generous he is and it also drives me crazy. But I want to adopt his ways and I am trying to keep my knee-jerk reaction under control. We do need those blessings.

David is also really good about receiving. When he gets a gift from his dad and step-mom (usually a shirt that is kinda ugly) he will purposely wear it when he is going to visit his dad. My knee-jerk response is "Why are you wearing that? It doesn't look good." and David will tell me "Because my dad gave it to me." He wears it just to show love to his dad. This was something I didn't learn growing up. When David and I were first dating, he gave me a watch. It was a dainty and pretty, but I already had a digital watch on my wrist that was good for timing myself when I went jogging. David knew I had a watch but gave me the new one because it was feminine. The next time I saw him, was I wearing the watch? No. It didn't cross my mind to switch watches because my digital one still worked. I didn't realize that this could hurt feelings. I'm not so good at being a generous receiver. I did realize my mistake later and I redeemed myself by wearing that dainty watch until the band cracked and tore and the crystal face broke and the battery ran out. David is my role model for gracious giving and receiving.

In the spirit of giving, I think I would like to give my dog to this lady:



Everyday, Midnight (our beloved and behated Schnauzer) scratches at the front door to be let out. At first I thought it was just to bark at all the people that pass our house, which is like a thousand people. He does that too, but he really wants to get out because everyday this lady passes by to give him doggy treats. If he isn't outside, she leaves them in our yard for him anyway. She must really like our dog. So maybe she should keep him. That would be so generous of me.

9 comments:

Lyn Hunter said...

I really like your idea of giving but I don't think you can classify it as generous when your kids would come completely unglued because you gave their dog away to the nice lady on the street. If only the family dog issue could be solved so easily.

Jess said...

My mom feeds a few dogs treats on her walk, but that's not her.

Perry Family said...

what a nice guy dave is!! Isn't it wonderful we find mates in life that have so many strengths to compliment our weaknesses!! I love mark for all the things he can do better than me, because I learn so much from him.

Emilie and Branden said...

Pear Shape??? Maybe you need to hang around the shop more to scare the skanks away.

Kaerlig said...

Oh, she's not skank. Very the opposite. No threat. Just needing someone else to be nice to her.

High Heels and a Sippy Cup said...

My husband is a giver like yours too. I love it and I hate. He has the occasional "PearShape" admirer to fend off and that's annoying but like Dave says we need the blessings right?

Just keep a big stick nearby for any persistent "PearShapes." *wink*

Anonymous said...

I eat my feelings.

Kaerlig said...

Dear Pear Shape,
You are what you eat.

The Calders said...

Dave has always been generous to me, and I always feel bad, because in doing so it sometimes affects his family. You are kind and generous yourself, especially to a out of town Idahoan.

My wife is the same way. She is a good giver, but a horrible receiver. She always thinks she is in "debt to people.

I hope I am not too much in debt to you guys...but keep my abreast of my account!!!

Marty