Later, I asked Ray to come weed the garden with me. While he and I were out there, just the two of us, he said "I'm having a hard time mixing science with religion." What?! You are seven! We then had long interesting conversation. I am not sure if everything that I said was truth because man can not know God's ways, but I told him some of the things I have come to believe (until there is further light on the subject). I told him that God uses natural processes, or science, to create the world and the creatures. Scientists come up with different theories about how it all happened and they try to make sense of our world but they leave God out. It is only possible to understand and make sense of the purpose of our existence with God. We talked about how amazing and perfect plants and animals are and it is proof of our Creator. We also talked more about the cave man (again the Cave Man!). I assured him that Adam was the first man that had a human spirit and that the cave man was different from us just like an animal's spirit is different from us and doesn't have the same purpose as we do. I don't know if I confused him more or not. I know I'm confused. If anyone has a better explanation, let me know.
Recently, Ray started talking again about the cave men. David started to tell him about the Neanderthals and that there is some scientific proof that they lived at the same time as man. I turned to David and gave him several warning looks not to go there. It would only confuse our little professor more. Sheesh, it confuses me!
10 comments:
You are a great Mom. I don't know what I would say if one of mine asked such questions. I think I would send them to Chad.I think you did great!
How how funny...what a curious boy, he wants to know everything!!! And what great answers you had for him!
Whew! What will he be coming up with when he's 11? I'd second your explanations. I love that your blogs always include a picture.
"I'm having a hard time mixing science with religion."
I think you did a great job of doing exactly what he was looking for: mixing the two, rather than try to separate them. I think too many people try to separate the two, which doesn't make sense to me -- science isn't God-less, it's the opposite. (I hope that makes sense.)
Kaerlig, I have more recipes on older posts...if you look under labels on my blog, click on "recipes" and there should be a couple more that I cook often! Same here...do you have any to share?
K,
This is one of the reasons that Autism is so cool. It is interesting to see how the brain works, especially with a child with Autism, because they are so literal.
I will send Dave an email, that says what my last kid did, because it might be a little risque for your blog.
Marty
I'm having a hard time mixing science and religion! What a kid. I love my big Rainer. I was just listening this afternoon on npr about a man having a hard time mixing science and religion. His solution was to get rid of religion all together. I must say your ideas are much more progress.
http://www.npr.org/templates/rundowns/rundown.php?prgId=13
Bill Maher and Larry Charles, Getting 'Religulous'
Sorry I'm a little late to the discussion, but I think your explanations were great. It's gotta be fun to have your little professor want to know and discuss.
A few interesting points about the topic...the Church's official position on human evolution (based on a statement given when Joseph F. Smith was president of the Church) is that Adam was the first man and that we don't know the exact means by which our race was created because it's not essential to our salvation. The idea that we were physically created through evolutionary means was supported by several past general authorities, including James E. Talmage, John A. Widstoe, and B.H. Roberts. Of course, other past general authorities (like Joseph Fielding Smith) strongly disagreed with these ideas, but the Church's official position hasn't changed since the early 20th century.
I think it's important to view religion and science as both seeking to find the truth. Spiritually, we learn what is true through prayer and revelation. Our efforts in science seek to identify truth through physical evidence and testing theories. The end goal with each is the same.
-Lonnie
WOW! I am sure you've realized this...but that your Ray's deep thoughts remind me of his Uncle Trevor. Very deep! (O:
Sometimes, ray looks like trevor too. Something in the smile with his glasses on.
Post a Comment