Thursday, September 11, 2008

Two Years Two Months (and counting)

For the past 26 months, Dave and I have been trying to have another baby. Well, I guess for the first 16 months we were simply not preventing the possibility but for the last 10 months I would say we have been trying. I have been keeping track. Trying to have a baby has been hard work lately. It wasn't this way with our three kids who came one right after the other, but I guess something has changed. All the recreation in procreation is getting swallowed up in the trying. Anyone been there? To get Dave's point of view see Weird Fishes on his blog.

Lately, Lou (age 4), who is always eager to say the blessing over the food, has been lengthening her usual prayers by asking for a baby sister to come. She wants someone to play dolls with so bad. I have been guilty in the past of feeding my own prayers to my kids, hoping that my words will reach God through my children's voices but I haven't prompted Lou at all with her recent prayers. She is praying from her heart. Dave and I are doing our part but it isn't really something we can control and sometimes we don't want to press our luck too far because of our track record. Each of our kids were preemies. Lou weighed in the littlest at a whopping 3 lbs. and spent a month in the Newborn Intensive Care Unit. Ray was only 4 1/2 lbs. and little D was our big chubby one at 5 lbs. 6 oz. I am extremely grateful that they were so strong and healthy despite the early start. It is kind of scary though to think that if I did have another baby, it would probably be a preemie. We have already been so lucky. Maybe if I wasn't so lousy at playing barbies Lou wouldn't feel so moved to prayer. But I'll take her prayers and add them to mine.

5 comments:

Perry Family said...

AH, Kaerlig!! What an amazing heart you have. I was really hoping that by the end of the post you'd announce you're pregnant! DARN! I'll pray for you too :) Keep up your hopes!

And amazing you actually read all 100! Thanks...I need to add my gratitude for my cousins, you're so great!!

Katie said...

Dave's post was SO funny! A pair of gonads... hahaha! Well, good luck you guys. It must be tough to be playing the waiting game, especially when little Lou asks God for a sister at the dinner table. What a sweetheart.

Kerri said...

Kaerlig,
Why must we learn patience? We'll keep you in our prayers. Little girls do need sisters.

High Heels and a Sippy Cup said...

Oh lady, my heart aches for you.

{{HUGS}}

Hurtado Family said...

love you kaer. i HATE HATE HATE the wait. . .what a great soul that is awaiting you! perhaps she will be just as strong as stella.


hey you should check out this picture by Berthe Marisot. its a great waiting picture

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/paintings-by-berthe-morisot-3.jpg