


...but last year I was robbed of my harvest by the first frost due to my own inhibitions about canning and I didn't want that to happen again. I haven't ever canned much and my mom never showed me how. She claims that it is due to the fact that her birthday is in August and her mom had her can every year on her birthday (bad memories) so she never did it with us. My dad, however, is a farmer at heart and has encouraged me to get over my fear of canning and go for it. I had assumed canning was just for tenured relief society sisters. Little did I know how easy it was. I went over to my girlfriend's house to see the process and then with confidence, I gathered my tomatoes. My two little tomato plants went crazy this year and had a huge yield. I still have a ton more to pick if we continue with the Indian summer weather. I bought the peaches as seconds (slightly irregular) at Allred's Orchard for only $6 a box. Next year I think I'll try making pickles. So many of my cucumbers went to waste this year. I think this is something I could get into.
10 comments:
Wow! I'm impressed. Your a lot more ambitious then me. Good work. I loves those website. I had no idea that they were your relatives.
Dude!!!! Share the wealth! All I want are garden tomatoes and cucumbers. I want to cry knowing you had an abundance and that I didn't get to partake. Save some for me and I'll make you some amazing salsa. And thanks for the Bday message today. See you tomorrow!
Would you mind teaching me?
I think that you are channeling grandma Johnson. I remember them canning in that kitchen. Nice work.
Em, I have been pawning off tomatoes and cucumbers and beets and carrots and green beans to anyone within range of my house. Where have you been?
j-I'm not tenured, but I think I could show you the general process.
SO cool! But lots of work, I just did it, and it's a once a year thing! Great job...you'll enjoy them all winter!
very, very impressed...That takes a lot of patience and energy - both things I'm determined to have someday when I learn how to can. You're amazing!
Your peaches and tomatoes look great. I hated to help my Mom when I was younger, but I love to do it now.
Kaerlig, this is the first summer I haven't had a garden. It's so funny. . .when I have a garden & try to share I feel like I'm pawning unwanted zucchini on innoscent bystanders. Now, if I go talk to my neighbors while they're in their garden & they share with me, I feel like I've begged food off them. Good job on your canning.
K & D.
That is way cool that you are Ms. Canner...not to burst your bubble, but you are a tenured RS sister now:)
Also 7 bucks a box for peaches? My old boss got half a box for 15.00 up here on a road side truck. You should get a bunch and bring them up and sell them.
Plus you and Dave need to come up and ride with me here anyway. My kids would love your kids. My 11 year old has more barbies then you can shake a stick at.
Marty
Post a Comment