Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Applesauce From Scratch

My dad has a memory when he was little of eating applesauce that his mom made with fried eggs. So, motivated by my friend Bobbie who gave me a jar of her freshly made applesauce, I decided to try it myself. It is surprisingly easy to make applesauce, though it takes some time and your kitchen may become a little sticky in the process. I bought a case of apples (seconds for $6 again) and I really am not sure what kind they were. Bobbie says to use Jonathon apples. Maybe that is what I bought. I just grabbed them and ran (after I paid for them).


I quartered them, seeds and all and put them in a pot with just enough water to cover the bottom and cooked them until they were soft. The one box of apples made four pots full of apples.


Using a sauce maker by "Back to Basics" that I borrowed from Bobbie, and using my helpful assistant Lou, we mushed the apples. Out one end came the applesauce and out the other end came the pulp.


I only added a couple of tablespoons of sugar and then poured it into sterilized jars.


I processed the jars using a water bath for twenty minutes. The pot was borrowed from my friend Lorna. I need to start getting my own stuff.


And then I was done. I got 8 jars and they are so good. Papa, one is coming to you. Start frying up your eggs.

7 comments:

David said...

Geez, I'd make applesauce too if I had such a cute little assistant.

Perry Family said...

ooooooohhhhh that looks so good, and fun to make! I bet your dad will love to get a jar! Having the right equipment makes any job easier, I need to get me some more kitchen supplies to make my canning easier.

akagi79 said...

They look great! I've made applesauce before and don't enjoy the proses for some reason! I just buy it. I'm sure yours tastes better and is better for you!

Kerri said...

I'm glad to see you've started paying for your orchard fruit. I can tease you, right? You've been quite domestic lately. My kids won't eat my homemade applesauce, but I love using it to replace oil in my recipes.

Bobbie said...

Wahoo, you did it! It looks great. I'm glad the equipment all came through for you. Hopefully your kitchen didn't end up as sticky as mine.

John and Julie Kupper said...

ummm that looks yummy

Jess said...

Wow, that's inspiring! All my apples fell off the tree and got mowed by brian, lol. You're awesome, Kaerlig. No, really. Thanks :)