It's not that I can't sew... (I took home economics in 7th grade and sewed a pillow in the shape of lips that wasn't too bad. I also sewed a dress in Alaska at my aunt's insistence because she thought it a crying shame that I didn't regularly sew. Though when I used her Serger I somehow caught part of the dress that shouldn't have been sewn and ended up with a big hole right in the back.)...it's that I don't sew well and I quit.
It's kind of embarrassing to still ask my mom to hem things for me. She gave me a sewing machine when I graduated from nursing school probably to give me the hint that it was time for me to stand on my own two feet. But I can't ever get the tension right and my needles always break and I get so frustrated that it isn't worth it to me.
So now it is Halloween time and my kids are trying to decide what they want to be. Gratefully, Lou wants to be what she was last year (Ariel) which was sewn by my beloved and talented mother. I feel bad and guilty asking my mom to sew for my boys so instead they've been excited about some costumes by PartyLand that we are NOT buying because they cost too much. Today I said to sweet little D that maybe we would go to the thrift shop soon and try to find some costumes. (Because I can't sew them obviously.) He surprised me and said that I didn't need to because he was going to be a headless man and already knew what he was going to wear. I asked him to run and put it on so I could see.
Here is little D's Halloween costume this year:
4 comments:
Your ineptitude at sewing (which I share), encourages your children's creativity!
Keep your sewing friends close...I always say.
SO FUNNY!! My mom just hemmed some things for me the other day...totally embarrassing I know!! I really need to get myself a sewing machine! Loved this post! And I've made 4 loaves of bread with the recipe you gave me since saturday...that's some awesome bread!
so i was in joanne's today (for halloween reasons) and i overheard this lady say that halloween is the only holiday that makes moms all feel really bad if they don't sew. Your blog being the example of this...oh the guilt of motherhood.
i actually left WITHOUT buying anything because stella was nuts, hiding placing, running away, crying...and i think she will just be (an unsewn) farmer. i will guilt myself no more...unless your mom is interested.
I went to the thrift shop and got little D a cape and he wants to be a vampire. simple enough. headless man no more.
I don't really feel guilty but rather useless. I don't let it get me down too much though.
Post a Comment