Friday, October 3, 2008

Rilkean Heart

On our first date, David turned to me as he drove and said he was going to play me some music that I probably hadn't heard before and he wanted to see how I liked it. As the sound filled the open air, I turned to him and said "This is Heaven or Las Vegas by Cocteau Twins!" He looked at me, and I could see the surprise on his face. He could see the surprise on mine. What did this mean? I didn't know any guys and not many girls that listened to Cocteau Twins other than my closest friends. That little connect in our beginnings pulled us together. Music is so powerful. I asked him why he like Cocteau Twins so much. I was curious because I thought that for a guy, Elizabeth Fraser's voice might be too feminine and sweet. That was exactly why he liked it. He said why wouldn't a man love the lullaby of a woman's voice. He described it as maternal.

A little while later, I bought him a book that I loved called Letters to a Young Poet. Rilke's words reverberated throughout our dating just as Cocteau Twins' melodies. It was too perfect, as if we had planned it and known all along, when Cocteau Twins released the song Rilkean Heart in 1996. Pulling us together.

2 comments:

Perry Family said...

oh how ironic!! you were definitely meant to be together!

b. said...

I vaguely remember this group.
I love the sound of her voice.

You two definitely have great taste in music....I've loved the mixes you given me!